Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-01-2010 , 12:16 PM

Tablet?

Hey guys, i've heard that working with a graphics tablet is more or less a must in zbrush sculpting (someone said that sculpting with a mouse is similar to painting with your foot in reality). So I want to know, how many of you have a tablet, and which one do you think I should get for sculpting. If you can, just tell me the best one (price doesn't matter) and also a good cheap one. Thanks guys.

# 2 17-01-2010 , 12:48 PM
It is a must in Z or Mudbox.

I personally hve a cheap Trust tablet, once it goes to the great hardware store in the sky I'll get a Wacom Intuos.

Wacoms are the standard.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 17-01-2010 , 01:47 PM
Yeah, tablet is a must for sure as Gster has said, I've done a bit of sculpting with a mouse, and it is possible, but takes so much longer and doesn't feel a fraction as smooth or enjoyable.

I have an Aiptek ultra slim 600U, very nice for the price (about £70, or $120) but has a small flaw which is the occasional delay/pause, though after installing some new drivers that seems to have cleared up and is running perfectly.

But Wacom are the way to go if money is no object, size seems to be a preference thing, mines A4 and I doubt I'd ever buy anything smaller, but others seem to like smaller ones. Maybe because of the weight issue, mines light as a feather so I don't have that problem, sits on my lap and feels pretty much like I'm drawing on paper.

Anyway, hope that helps and that you find your perfect tablet soon!

# 4 17-01-2010 , 01:49 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I also have a trust tablet and wish I bought a wacom
If you are on a budget you can get a cheap wacom for the same price as a trust tablet, there still not great but have a better build quality.
How much are you looking to spend?

# 5 17-01-2010 , 02:35 PM
The Nurb Herd
i have an intuos 2 and a bamboo. the bamboo is small but i find ok for zbrush, as long as there are no really big gestures its fine.

# 6 17-01-2010 , 02:44 PM
How is iball 8060U (8' x 6') . I have ordered one. I am on a budget. But is it good? Any one used it before

# 7 17-01-2010 , 05:17 PM
Subscriber
if you plan to go with an off brand tablet, ( By off brand i mean something other then Wacom) i suggest either Hanvon " I've used their tablets before and love them to be honest for the price, all you really lose from wacom is the shortcut buttons on the tablet its self. ) or the one that dango uses the aiptek. I have though seen mixed reviews on the later.

Hanvon however offered a few different models, their more expensive models range around about 150$ for an 8x6, they include some butons and a zoom wheel if i remember right.
their base lines are around 70$ and just a tablet and pen. well worth it.

G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 8 17-01-2010 , 06:39 PM
I love cintiq 21 ux but it is too expensive........

# 9 17-01-2010 , 09:43 PM
Well I don't think I'd spend more than 1000$ for a tablet atm, but maybe later i'd be willing to spend more.

I was looking at the Cintiq 21UX, but since i've only just started in the 3d world, I think it's a bit too soon to pay 2.5k dollars for a tablet.

This one seems promising: https://graphicssoft.about.com/b/2005...tuos3-6x11.htm

Though I still don't get it, what's so great about a tablet. I just don't get how you can draw exactly where you want if you don't see the picture unless your looking on the monitor, and even then you don't see the mouse moving so you could see where you're about to draw. Well I know the 21UX solves this problem, but maaan, 2k...

Last edited by Aurorap; 17-01-2010 at 09:55 PM.
# 10 18-01-2010 , 12:36 AM
EduSciVis-er
There is a bit of a learning curve, to be honest. But after a while, it doesn't matter that what you're drawing on and where it is displayed are in different places.

I have a small Wacom Graphire (small due to price, not preference), but it's a few years old now.

# 11 18-01-2010 , 09:52 AM
any one using cintiq 21 ux?
what is your experience with that?
I'm a cartoonist and now learning animation.....
so I think it is good for me......