Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-01-2010 , 10:18 PM

What is wrong with my lamp?

Hello!

I am a beginner in Maya, trying to render a model. All quality settings are at maximum, yet I get those weird lines and spots all over my lamp. Could someone please tell me how to fix it?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-01-2010 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
my guess would be the normals... try reversing them and rendering again and see if the problem persists.

# 3 16-01-2010 , 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
You probably have some duplicates of your model sitting on top of each other.

- Genny
# 4 17-01-2010 , 04:51 AM
yeah check that you do not have laminar objects would be my guess.

Haha, I also remember learning mental ray. If going from 1 to 2 is good then going from 2 to 1024 should be UBER! Three weeks later when my render finished I went back to the default settings are fine! (smile)

I have watched countless tutorials and read the docs many times and the mental ray settings are still a mystery to me. Half the time, if you try to follow the documentation, the time you spend fine tuning the settings to get the best render takes 1000 times longer then the render it self.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 17-01-2010 , 07:46 PM
Hi

Thank you very much everyone for replies, GecT was right - I had two models on top of each other user added image)

Mental ray is indeed the biggest mystery ever...