Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 24-08-2003 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber
That's very nice! Atmospheric. Agree on the shadows point.

On a side note I do wish that every time someone posted something nice in noobie people didn't start shouting they should compete in normal. It really isn't up to you and it just causes confusion.

# 32 24-08-2003 , 03:04 PM

Originally posted by EagleKing
you have enough talent to join as normal next time. user added image

LOL!! Funny user added image As I've had maya for less than 2 months, I sincerely doubt it, but am flattered you think so.

I think I've solved the shadows problem, now to solve the dark issue. It's only rendering some lights and not all and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out why. user added image Ah well, I rearranged a few things yet again, so the problems keep me tinkering with it.

# 33 24-08-2003 , 04:44 PM
how do you join tournaments?

# 34 24-08-2003 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
hey natallia.. this is coming along really nicely. Just yea, it is too dark of a lighting scene.. try to work with some lights that are not too strong... but still show detail user added image.

zycotik... first off im not sure if you meant challenges.. so i will explain both.

For challenges you have to just start a thread going along the guidelines in the main thread in the challenges section.... the one that tells you the topic and so on. So basically start a thread naming it:

August challenge - Zykotik - Normal/noobie (depending on if you want to join as normal or noobie)

Then simply just work on it and show progress images (following the rules)

For a tournament.. you have to find a signup forum.. usually in the tournament section (battle arena> tournaments)..or in the announcements forum. Just say "i want to join this tournament" and that you understand how long it will run for and thats that. Then you just have to wait for the starting date and it will all you have to do is post your progress images in your thread (you will be matched up against someone)... the winner goes to the next round. anyways.. thorough instructions are all over this site in the battle arena and here in this forum.. so just read and it should all make sence. If your still stuck PM me.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 35 25-08-2003 , 12:16 AM
looks really really cool, I did a double take when I saw it! My monitor is pretty dark anyways so it gave it even more atmosphere! But what howard said about shadows is really true, I took the image to photoshop and bumped up the brightness a bit and it does seem to lack some depth without shadows.

Looks really cool though, well done
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 36 25-08-2003 , 02:48 AM
Alrighty. I lightened things up a bit, found my shadows, made some fire for the cauldron, added some pillars to hide the ugly bits, and generally did some poking, prodding and tweaking. Things left to do are flames for the candles/lamps (though I'm having no luck in making them at the moment) and anything folks critique user added image

This has definitely been a learning experience! hurrah!

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 25-08-2003 , 02:52 AM
One thing I notice is that there are no shadows cast by the fire. The table leg is missing a shadow that comes down to the bottom right. user added image Perhaps using am orange point light stuck in the fire might work?

As for flames, you could try revolving the classic candle flame shape and making it incandesant and use that?

Looking lovely it is. Very spooky, yet shiney user added image

# 38 25-08-2003 , 03:04 AM
Subscriber
Very nice indeed! Might make the floorboards a little smaller as they are a bit on the huge side. Could try a glowing ramp thing for the candles. Overall it is looking really jolly.

# 39 26-08-2003 , 04:16 AM
Made a few changes and here are the current WIP shots:

suggestions always welcome user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 26-08-2003 , 04:17 AM
Closer detail on the bookshelf.

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 26-08-2003 , 04:19 AM
And a close-up of the table top. Anyone know why the candles' flames glow and the lamps' flames, using the same materials, do not? I'm sure it's a result of the point lights near them, but they're identically placed on all four instances. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 26-08-2003 , 09:31 AM
Oo

when I look at the book shelf...then I can only repeat what I said.

next time you can join as normal user added image

# 43 26-08-2003 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber
Looking great, love all the small details. Only suggestion I have is to make the tables texture a bit more dirty and/or rough, looks a bit clean and flat now. Keep it up user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 44 29-08-2003 , 01:20 AM
Alrighty, as I have an eventful weekend planned (US holiday), this will be my final render. See the finals thread for a larger version and some close ups of other bits below.

BIG thanks to all who helped with instructions or suggestions or critiques of any kind, either here or elsewhere. I learned much and enjoyed it!!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Nataliia; 29-08-2003 at 01:29 AM.
# 45 29-08-2003 , 01:31 AM
Here's the book shelf with all the jars and books user added image

Attached Thumbnails