Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-07-2006 , 10:19 AM

games made in maya?

hey guys i was just wonderin', what games were made in maya?

~The Computer Is A Moron~
# 2 24-07-2006 , 10:45 AM
I'm not big into games or the industry, but, I know that 24 the game was (it said it in the credits of the instructions LOL)

# 3 24-07-2006 , 10:50 AM
lol really? thx

anymore of you who knows?

the only one i know is Kingdom Hearts... autodesk said maya was used at some point in it..
:attn:

# 4 24-07-2006 , 11:47 AM
Senior Software Developer
There are a lot of games now using Maya. Mike TheManMountain is still in the industry (I think) so he would probably be the best one to answer this. But its unlikely anyone can give a list.

Maya is still predominantly used for TV/Film ATM, but is stating to make a bigger hit on the Games market. Most companies will accept Maya or Max for creating game assets. UT2004, UT2007, Call of Duty 1 and 2 and WoW to name a few, would have had stuff created in Maya. No game is made solely with one application, companies use a massive amount of software and it all comes down to, "...Can it meet the projects needs?..." and "...What will it cost to impliment?..." as far as I am aware.

From what I have read in magazines and online, more studios are accepting Maya as the app to use while utilising others for different parts. Motion Builder is used quite heavily for AVI cutscenes or movie sequnces in game.

I am using Maya atm, in the MMO in my sig, to create Characters, Buildings and Objects, and this has its own problems due to the choice to use the Torque Game Engine. While its good and cheap, really doesn't allow the import or use or other 3D Formats and only supports .map files and its own native engine formats (DIF, DTS and DSQ). There are exporters to help, but most actually dont, so we are looking into other otpions to get the conversions done... And due to the fact its really designed and marketed for Indie Teams its meant to be used with Hammer or Radiant or QuArK, these being free.

My tip would be to look in Google at the major games producers and see what they have created and look into it that way. I think you will be surprised at the amount of games that use Maya now.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 24-07-2006 , 12:52 PM
"50% of Northern games companies use maya"

Quoted off the back of "Maya 6 - Killer Tips" so that might give an indication of the number of games??

# 6 24-07-2006 , 01:00 PM

Originally posted by gster123
"50% of Northern games companies use maya"

Quoted off the back of "Maya 6 - Killer Tips" so that might give an indication of the number of games??

lol ye

# 7 24-07-2006 , 01:11 PM
Should have really put Northern American LOL!!!

# 8 24-07-2006 , 02:42 PM
:attn:

# 9 24-07-2006 , 05:49 PM
The Maya Mountain
Tomb Raider, EA sports games for the most part, Halo, Metroid, Sly Cooper, just to name a few.

# 10 24-07-2006 , 06:38 PM
I know that Nintendo uses Maya for must of their games :attn:

Cheers, Nintendo Fan user added image

# 11 24-07-2006 , 07:58 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LucasArts Create all their stuff in Maya, in fact Maya is becoming increasingly popular at most game studios, having looked thru the jobs most of the studios are using Maya, Max and Z brush

_J

# 12 25-07-2006 , 12:33 AM
Subscriber
Wait, thats..odd.... I heard from someone that maya , since Autodesk bought alias out, was becoming increasingly less popular in the industry, with people moving to such as Modo or XSI...I'm hoping thats wrong, to be honest..
LoL
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 13 25-07-2006 , 01:49 AM
@mike and jay

wow thanks guys, didn't know maya was used to create those big-hit games... all the while i was thinking it was in 3ds max :attn:

@legendofzombi
lol same

# 14 25-07-2006 , 07:17 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
G

Every job sheet listing I have has Maya, Max and Z on it and thats from different 'agencies' all over the world. Modo is SD based and not game savvy right at this moment, unless its used for the highend animatics, but I doubt it for the realtime stuff as SDs are way too heavy. XSI again is used here and there but again, the rumour youve heard for Maya, Ive heard for XSI on many project, its just not being used. A friend of mine is a full time animator here in London and his company use XSI and Maya but earlier this year they booted out XSI in favour of Maya.

I think somebody has an Autodesk grudge...LOL

Jay

# 15 25-07-2006 , 09:34 AM
Senior Software Developer
As Jay said, Maya is increasing in use in the Games Industry. The only Game I know of that used XSI fully, was Half Life 2. Otherwise its just used here and there, as Maya is currently. Also Maya is mostly used for its animations tools and dynamics. Most Models/Assets are still generally created in Max. But as I said earlier, choice of applications are made by Art Directors and "Heads of Sheds" at the birth of a project.

There were a lot of rumours about what would happen to Maya when Autodesk bought Alias, but as most rumours are, it was all bull. Would you want to be the head of a company to be blaimed for the demise of the King of 3D Apps? Not Me...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)