Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-12-2013 , 02:09 PM
SM Tea Boy

January Challenge - Doom

Hi Guys it's time to bring back the challenges to SimplyMaya for the new year.

Prizes
Well this time we have something a little different for you. One of our oldest members 'bullet1968' Has offered the services of his shiny new 3D printer so the first prize will be a custom 3D print of your entry. This print will be of the character or creature you model not the enviroment.

The scale will be approximately 120mm but this of course depends a bit on what you decide to model. You will also receive a 3D print of the classic Doom Hellnight which will be modeled right here for the competition.

user added image

1st Prize The 3D print of your entry

2nd Prize Will be this great book Creative Essence: Creatures and $200 usd worth of SimplyMaya Video credits

3rd Prize Will be this book The Art of Pixar

Entry
Simply start a thread in this forum with the tile:

Your username - Doom Challenge

Rules

This one is going to be a Doom inspired challenge. You'll be modeling and texturing character or creature from ID software's Doom games. It does not have to be an exact copy but your work should be heavily influenced by the style of the Doom franchise.

You may model an environment but it's not necessary.

You'll need to show your WIP shots throughout out the challenge time period just turning up and posting a final image will not be admissible.

This challenge will run till the end of February so you've no excuses not to be able to join in.

Any questions ask below

Good luck
SimplyMaya.com

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 28-12-2013 , 07:25 PM
Lifetime Member
Good luck everyone user added image have fun

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 29-12-2013 , 12:15 AM
Super Moderator
Gonna blog this!

- Genny
# 4 29-12-2013 , 01:47 AM
Lifetime Member
Goooooo Genny he he he

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 07-01-2014 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
Thinking this may need a bit of a push, unless you want to give me all 3 prizes hehehe

# 6 07-01-2014 , 11:48 PM
SM Tea Boy
I'll start promoting it at the end of the week I expect some entries then user added image

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 7 08-01-2014 , 12:50 AM
Lifetime Member
Bah only 1 week into it Tweety......it will move....somewhere but it will move

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 08-01-2014 at 12:50 AM. Reason: needed sarcasm
# 8 08-01-2014 , 12:58 PM
Subscriber
Is it really just been a week - errr - times goes slow when out of work - but then that means I have lots of time left.

# 9 10-01-2014 , 03:08 PM
Does anybody know a good source for preparing a 3d model for 3d printers?

# 10 10-01-2014 , 03:09 PM
and can we use zbrush for sculpting?

# 11 10-01-2014 , 05:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Yeh goggles whatever software you want. Im using Z for the prize user added image Zbrush or Maya will export .stl Meshlab will clean it for you or Netfabb. Both are free but have limited tools for hollowing etc. You can hollow the model in Zbrush as well...but I can do that user added image

bullet1968

# 12 10-01-2014 , 05:59 PM
Lifetime Member
I will add peoples, 3D printing and associated software DISLIKES overlapping and intersecting triangles. So when you are folding stuff over other things be careful...it might print fine...then again I have had a few failures.

bullet1968

# 13 10-01-2014 , 08:18 PM
I will try to maintain the clean geometry at the end. The thing is, i heard there are different types of printers and work different. How about open mouth? i cant figure out how the printing logic works. maybe if you can find some videos about printing process and some complex models that are printed already, it might be useful.

# 14 10-01-2014 , 10:21 PM
Lifetime Member
My printer is a Form1...

https://formlabs.com/products/our-printer

There is a video in there somewhere mate. It works on lasers and resin with the 'slices' being drawn by the laser, thus setting off the liquid in increments. I have printed a dinosaur (see if he recognises it ) to test organic models on a couple of my first prints. Its a bit blurry but if you go to my thread Bullets 3D Prints in the lounge there is a better image. It printed teeth, tongue everything.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 15 10-01-2014 , 10:41 PM
thanks for the tips, dino mouth looks well printed. i knew a little about how cnc machines work. i think i will go deeply into other printing tech after i finish my current project. this will be fun... btw, for this challenge or generally for simply maya forum, is there a chance we can form our own hangout room? like this one? https://www.youtube.com/user/zbrushhangout
Idiscovered this channel a while ago and its really fun. Maybe we can do something like this but more educative. Share knowledge and stuff while killing our social lives at home doing modeling....