Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-11-2013 , 09:21 PM
Lifetime Member

Idea for a Maya + Python project for a class.

Hi, My name is Devin. So, I am currently a student in a program at the University of New Mexico called IFDM (Interdisciplinary Film and Digital Media). It is a lot like say, Full Sail or the Savannah Animation Program.

They are teaching us how to create CGI VFX for Film, TV and Video Games. My specialty is Modeling, Texturing, and some Animation using software such as Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, and Cinema 4D.

I am a second year Freshman. One class I have this year, is an "Intro to Python" class. For me this is a very hard class, in fact I failed the midterm and had to hire a professional tutor to help me get through the labs and study for the Final. Good news is if I do well on the Final, our teacher will throw out the midterm grade and replace it with the Final grade. However, we still need to do a final project.

Normally this would be doing a game of some sort (coding it in Python), but due to an unfortunate issue in my life (My mom battling cancer), our teacher is allowing me to do something that combines Maya (which I know pretty well), and Python...which I am getting better at, but still need a lot of help on.

Basically I need to find a project (hopefully one that isn't too difficult) that would basically combine Python with Maya. I guess that would be some kind of scripting thing that helps Maya do something, with the aide of Python. I know that sounds lame, but I don't really have the vocabulary of a seasoned programmer.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me any kind of ideas on projects of this sort. I need to submit something for my teacher to approve of not approve of, by Monday of next week. I figured I would ask, and any help would be very much appreciated...Thank Youuser added image

# 2 19-11-2013 , 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Since you've mentioned that your studies include modeling, texturing and animation you could create a tool that helps you out in one of those areas. Something that you do often that could be automated.

- Genny
# 3 20-11-2013 , 07:56 PM
Lifetime Member

Good Idea:)

Since you've mentioned that your studies include modeling, texturing and animation you could create a tool that helps you out in one of those areas. Something that you do often that could be automated.

Thanks, Actually I am meeting with my Maya I and II teacher Friday to discuss, just such a project...Thanks for the replyuser added image

Last edited by WestSideHK; 20-11-2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling