Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 03-10-2003 , 12:10 AM

4.0 to 5.0 crash on render

My file rendered fine in 4.0 but when I open it and save it in 5.0 then render in mental ray it crashes. Do you have to import it or could there be other problems. I did get rid of all history.

Thanks

PS. The system I was running was a pIII 600 with 640 mg pc100 ram 66 controler IDE drive and it rendered slow but fine. I upgraded to a AMD XP 2500 barton, 1 gig DDR400 running dual channel and an SATA 80 gig drive and now it crashes with 5.0.

Last edited by RickStefani; 03-10-2003 at 12:23 AM.
# 2 04-10-2003 , 11:14 PM
I too seem to be plagued with render problems lately. At forst it would crash on running FChek. Then, it crashes on rendering using Mental Ray. Now, even just a straight render is killing it. Total lock up, gotta reboot. I'm thinking this could be a video drivers issue, yes? Never really had this problem before I reformatted because of that darn virus. Got all the newest drivers installed. Now Maya just dies on renders.

???

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 3 05-10-2003 , 09:11 PM
Fustrating. Somewhat the same thing. I keap getting a C++ runtime error. It boots me out of Maya but does not lock up windows.

# 4 06-10-2003 , 09:44 PM
I found my problem. My system will not run on vertual memory. It really is not the problem with the file but the fact that they are large so my computer has more info to crunch. Once physical memory is gone it crashes rather that using the virtual memory. I have set the virtual to 3 gig but still it does not use it. Anyone have this problem or know a way to fix it?

# 5 07-10-2003 , 10:48 PM
My problem seems to have been with the preferences. I had imported preferences from an earlier install. It's possible that there was a setting in there somewhere that was corrupting the rendering process. I'm up and running again and a happy camper. user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 6 07-10-2003 , 11:07 PM
I did not even think about that. Jeep is still bad but my other files are OK. so by gettting rid of the preferences it is OK now?

# 7 07-10-2003 , 11:10 PM
I left the default preferences in Maya this time. Seems to be working fine. If you deleted your original preferences let me know and I can send you mine to try.

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 8 08-10-2003 , 03:24 PM
PAR 0.n error 021105: cannot start thread 6
PAR 0.n error 021102: cannot start thread
PAR 0.n error 021105: cannot start thread 7
PAR 0.n error 021105: cannot start thread 8
PAR 0.n error 021105: cannot start thread 9

Here is the error in the output window.

# 9 12-10-2003 , 10:00 AM
I want to give a special thanks to dave_baer
for helping me. Thank you. I found the problem. Maya 5.0 did not like the subdivided surfaces or the Nurbs surfaces from 4.0. It is hard to believe that no one else ever ran into this or even sujested not to put a tiff mat into a mental ray render because it will cause it to fail. No one else ever ran into this. All these Maya users and no one had that problem?

# 10 13-10-2003 , 12:09 AM
Well, it is not running again.:mingun:

# 11 15-10-2003 , 06:35 PM
Man i seem to be getting problems now as well.. My maya 5 itself is buggy as hell..Im following simple directions in the book I have thats A|W approved and shit wont even do what its supposed to do as it says on the book...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!...Maybe its time to buy another app.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 12 15-10-2003 , 09:20 PM
You know, I used to use MAX but switched to MAYA because it was so buggy. Seems like 5.0 just went in some bad directions. The batch render worked. Worked once and I hope that will continue to work.

# 13 16-10-2003 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
*pats his 4.0 version of Maya* "good Maya.....gooood. *grins*

# 14 20-10-2003 , 06:22 PM
lol...

Rick... Is it just that particular model that you're having problems with? Try creating just a simple sphere and render. Then, apply a texture to it and render. Keep building on the sphere and rendering until you get the results you want or it crashes, then you'll know whether it's Maya or just your model.

If it's a geometry related issue, then all I can suggest is to rebuild the model.

Also try this. Open a new, blank scene and IMPORT your old scene into it. Set up a new camera, delete the old one. Render. If it still crashes then it's going to be something to do with the geometry. (considering you were successful with the sphere test)

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 15 20-10-2003 , 08:50 PM
Hey Rick. I just noticed when I rendered my latest freighter image in MR I got the same error except mine finished the render. I also get some black areas on my geometry which I'm assuming has something to do with the errors. Maybe it can't render those spots for some reason. But aside from everything else, at least we can narrow it down to being a Mental Ray problem and not a Maya problem.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu