Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 76 01-03-2011 , 10:12 AM
The thin red line
Nice update perfecto
I must admit it has been harder than I thought to get good references, I have not posted as I am fighting with zbrush and loosing..........dave

# 77 02-03-2011 , 09:37 PM
The thin red line
Looks like I have done nothing but the problem was I had the original in zbrush as subtools but I wanted to use uvmaster in the end I just reimported the base mesh from maya in one lot then polygrouped them this allowed me to use uvmaster. Also bean testing some normal maps to make sure I can add more detail in photoshop. Hope to have the clothing and helmet texture by tomorrow......dave

Edit: Im not that good in zbrush feel more at home in maya

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 02-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
# 78 02-03-2011 , 11:56 PM
That's actually not too bad

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 79 03-03-2011 , 12:00 AM
Subscriber
nice progress by all - loving the model bullet has for ref - might just have to try and get that for real.

# 80 06-03-2011 , 08:07 AM
Subscriber
perfecto, what size is the end product going to be, and which render are we going to use. and its only going to be a still? i think i decided against modeling all the details in - and rather add them with a displacement. gotta finish the model some more first before i can get to texturing though. we should probably use mental ray - unless there is something really cool about the maya renderer that makes it somehow superior.

not much progress to show - most is test renders on how to get my displacement map to show up properly in the renders.

duckie

# 81 06-03-2011 , 08:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Im gonna check in a store in Melbourne Tweety...I like it too...the shop I think is called Minotaur.....it has all the stuff like that.....heaps of comic statues etc...books etc.....been there twice now...excellent shop man..really cool place.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 82 06-03-2011 , 04:43 PM

perfecto, what size is the end product going to be, and which render are we going to use. and its only going to be a still? i think i decided against modeling all the details in - and rather add them with a displacement. gotta finish the model some more first before i can get to texturing though. we should probably use mental ray - unless there is something really cool about the maya renderer that makes it somehow superior.

not much progress to show - most is test renders on how to get my displacement map to show up properly in the renders.

duckie

Not sure what size but there's no rush. I'm assuming that if we do put together a final scene it would be rendered in MR.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 83 09-03-2011 , 02:45 PM
The thin red line
Inspired by mastone but lacking his gift, trying to get the likeness of sir Ian McKeller...........dave

Edit: just a normal map from zbrush no fine detail

Attached Thumbnails

# 84 09-03-2011 , 03:31 PM
Lifetime Member
Maybe more definition in the nose?.....emulation is also a gift.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 85 09-03-2011 , 03:54 PM
Subscriber
dave, that does look nice. and since he is gonna wear a helmet, it does not matter if the detail is "just" a normal map - you won't see any contours anyway - except maybe the nose user added image

p.s.: one thing you might want to add some detail to it is the tear sack - it looks kinda - aehm destroyed .... not the thing under the eyes, that is nice - i mean the corner of the eye thingy

Last edited by BabyDuck; 09-03-2011 at 03:58 PM.
# 86 09-03-2011 , 06:16 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Inspired by mastone but lacking his gift, trying to get the likeness of sir Ian McKeller...........dave

Edit: just a normal map from zbrush no fine detail

Me is greatly humbled , but thanks.

You're model is not a far way off it's getting pretty close actually, take a look at this image ( you probably have it already but this one stood out for me)
https://revistamonet.globo.com/coluna...1/13janian.jpg
It could be because of the focal length of the camera but here goes anyways:
-His nose is big but there is a sligt curve in it
-don't work on fine details , I know it's fun and easy in ZBrush but it distracts your eyes from the overall shape, you have to see who it is without the details they are there only to enhance the model even further once you have it down
-I would make the eyesockets slightly smaller
-pull up the top of the head somewhat in Zbrush
-Pull down his chin
-Use the inflate brush to puff out some area's ( brow for instance)they seem a bit flat/harsh to me
-Split up the face in portions ( ie nose, eyes, ears, mouth etc) and use ctrl shift lasso select to omit the other stuff from view this way you only focus on one part until you happy with the overall shape and then go to the other parts, once you have the rudimentary forms in place look at it as a whole.

Good luck

# 87 10-03-2011 , 11:08 AM
The thin red line
Thanks Bullet still working on the nose, Thanks Duckie I know what you are saying about the helmet but I find doing the hair not to hard to do and I might have some shots without the helmet on. Thanks Mastone I have taken on board all you have said and am trying your suggestions. A little update tweeking of the chin, eye braw and eye duct........dave

Edit:I think I will do the fine detail in photoshop I think it will give me more control

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by daverave; 10-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.
# 88 13-03-2011 , 09:01 PM
Subscriber
didn't have much time this weekend since grandkids were here. was playing around with rendering and compositing a bit - and managed to create a simple graph in maya composite to add a glow around the x-jet. hopefully next weekend i find some time to actually do something on the model itself :sigh:

cheers duckie

Attached Thumbnails
# 89 13-03-2011 , 09:22 PM
Lifetime Member
wow that looks cool mate....something I need to learn is composoting...

bullet1968

# 90 13-03-2011 , 09:49 PM
The thin red line
That does look nice Duckie, grandkid tell me about them. I will try and post some thing in the next few days been playing with mudbox I like it............dave