Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-12-2005 , 12:15 AM

my first character he sucks

this is my first human character, he sucks so bad i want to drink to feel better. im doing a project for school and still modelling during the animation phase... only have about 10 days left. gonna try fixing him better once class is done.

feel free to laugh i dont even wanna work on him, as everyone elses looks a million times better.

still dont have a clue on the textures either.

user added image

he is supposed to be a german in winter kit, i just made the helm, but no shown, nor the ears or mouth.

user added image

weapons i made for him

user added image

user added image

user added image

and 2 buildings for the scene so far

user added image

in the texture free video tutorial, how did he make the blueprint of the gate to match the textures to?

hmm not sure why they wont show, im hosting them

Last edited by rob2000; 06-12-2005 at 07:02 PM.
# 2 06-12-2005 , 12:45 AM
ill try one image this way

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 06-12-2005 , 11:40 AM
generally the whole body needs rounding out more. the body is far too rectangular. You could do with knees showing on the legs and the eyes and nose would sit far lower down on the head (he needs a forehead).

good play though and hopefully it will deform well in animation user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 4 06-12-2005 , 06:16 PM
yes his body looks bad, i ran out of time to perfect him. luckily not getting graded on the modelling this round, just the animation. i hope it looks ok. will try to mimic some funny stuff if possible. were trying to replicate video games.

# 5 06-12-2005 , 06:34 PM
well, needless to say, you still have a long way to go..
but, keep practicing...
one way to make sure your models come out better is to use referances. don't try to take realistic human models yet. try simpler stuff first.
so, you are studying animation? which school do you go to?

# 6 06-12-2005 , 06:53 PM
video game design, just in the animation part at the moment. I feel like im in kindergarten doing this. a few parts i find simple enough and others are kicking my ass. I suck at drawing so if thats any indication.

i did try to throw a texture map on the face to define him instead of the modelling but cant get the hang of that.

i go to Keiser College in florida, only picked this school cause it was the first in the area to offer video game design. but its only a AS degree, and therefore its more like a intro to everything. I try to get help from my instructor but at times he just aggravates the hell out of me, so i don't ask all the time.

problem is im easily distracted and have a hard time concentrating for hours on end on it. and as a result you see it directly in my work. I still can't get the hang of some of the basic things. The book is hard to follow as we jump around, and once you get to a later part it assumes you know every step 100 percent by heart.

as for the images, i hosted them on fotki and its not allowing them for some reason.

# 7 06-12-2005 , 06:58 PM
simple grenade i made for him.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 06-12-2005 , 08:16 PM
The Maya Mountain
the images in your first post aren't showing up because you are using the [img] code but with html files rather than actual image files.

I think.