Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 14-09-2008 , 08:29 PM

Selecting skeleton points?

So i'm working on a walk cycle and I got the legs going properly but I can't select the pivot points of the skeleton on the foot, to give me the bend from the toes. (so it just a rigid foot) here is a screenie to give you a better idea of what I mean:
user added image

# 2 14-09-2008 , 08:34 PM
An animator should never have to select the individual joints to animate. Is there a control for the toes? Check the channel box of the foot control to see if there's an attribute for a toe bend.

# 3 14-09-2008 , 08:54 PM

# 4 15-09-2008 , 06:49 AM

Originally posted by Hoshi87
An animator should never have to select the individual joints to animate. Is there a control for the toes? Check the channel box of the foot control to see if there's an attribute for a toe bend.

So bassically using IK manually without control curves or FKs isn't a good practice for animation ? I"m still a newbie although I'm actually getting a walk cycle and breif animation together that I'm happywitht for my first structured attempt.

# 5 15-09-2008 , 01:09 PM
jm82792: No, using an IK manually without curves isn't good practice either. It's easy to mess up the IK and break it. Control curves allow you to zero out your translations easily from pose to pose. Professionally an animator should be able to create poses from a rig without ever touching a joint or IK.
It's great you're working on your first animation. Keep working on those walk cycles user added image

0Dudeman0: I opened up that file for the basic guy. Click on either of his red or green foot controls. In the channel box is an attribute for Ball_Roll. Click on the word Ball_Roll then middle mouse drag left or right in your perspective (or whatever view you're in) to play with the numbers. I hope this helps.

# 6 15-09-2008 , 08:01 PM
hey! I can bend the foot now, thanks so much Hoshi! user added image I will upload the walk cycle on show you all when it is done!