Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-09-2012 , 04:33 PM
Administrator

New Training - Physically Accurate Lighting in mental ray

We go from an unshaded room to a fully lit and shaded scene in less than 3 hours. All scene files and textures are included with this project, an introduction video and larger renders can be found [here].

user added image

user added image

Many thanks to David Mitchell from Alter Studios for the original concept, and bullet I hope you'll enjoy this one. It was made with you in mind now that you have all that free time on your hands user added image

# 2 07-09-2012 , 12:28 AM
Subscriber
oh man, a few weeks too late, looks like it will contain useful stuff for the egg challenge!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 07-09-2012 , 09:57 AM
Subscriber
This looks really appealing, but what light types are covered. Is it has more than just the physical sun & sky...? Could you please post a list of what each lesson covers, because if it covers various mental ray lights and mia_exposure photographic I am sold user added image

# 4 08-09-2012 , 02:32 PM
Administrator
No, it doesn't just cover physical sun & sky the aim of this tutorial is basically to get you to understand the physics behind indirect lighting in mental ray through example. It's pretty technical and a good reference point to come back to, the main aim is to get you to understand how things work rather than pushing buttons.

For lighting it explains FG maps and their limitations, portal lights, GI, and how to use these things in combination to speed up renders. For shading & texturing it covers gamma correction nodes, sss shading and mia_material_x. We've used the simple exposure node because nothing in this scene requires the photographic one.

The first two parts cover theory and the next six lighting of the interior scene.

Part 1: Linear Workflow & Lighting to Scale
Part 2: Physical Sun & Sky Nodes
Part 3: Color Bleed & FG Maps
Part 4: Portal Lights & GI
Part 5: Stained Glass with SSS Material & Light Throw Pattern
Part 6: Frosted Glass, Gloss Paint & Wood Floor
Part 7: Adding Background & Finalizing Shading
Part 8: Bringing in Tree Shadows & Final Tweaks
(Addendum: SSS Material for older versions of Maya)

# 5 08-09-2012 , 03:08 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks to all involved in this user added image
Actually, I probably need this more than Bullet does since my lighting is always horrible
looks like it'll help me with my bedroom setup tons user added image

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 6 08-09-2012 , 06:10 PM
Administrator
You're welcome, will be very happy to see that bedroom come out stunning in the near future I like the model.

Haha for the record I mentioned bullet specifically because he loves the original scene, it was done in LightWave a few years back and he always wanted to do something like it in Maya.

# 7 08-09-2012 , 07:27 PM
The thin red line
I thought I saw that image some where before.............dave

# 8 10-09-2012 , 07:40 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Miss_Nova for sharing that info, sounds like it is just what I have been looking for!
Once purchased, is it possible to download whenever or am i limited to download only within a time period?
I only ask as my 'broadband' at home is worse then the 3G on my phone so It might take some time to complete the download!

Last edited by dustykhan; 10-09-2012 at 08:06 AM.
# 9 10-09-2012 , 06:02 PM
Administrator
Thanks dustykhan, that's nice to hear. For downloads there's no time limit on them, you can download or come back and redownload the tutorial at any time.

Let us know how you go and if you run into any problems just post up on the forum and we'll help you out.

# 10 11-09-2012 , 07:51 AM
Subscriber
I only had to attempt to download it three times last night which wasn't too bad user added image
I am looking forward to working my way through the tutorial!
Thanks!

# 11 11-09-2012 , 04:03 PM
Administrator
Three times not bad haha I spent a few months on a tiny island last year and you'd be lucky to keep the internet for 5 minutes.

Good luck with the tutorial and thanks for supporting SimplyMaya.

# 12 17-09-2012 , 11:01 AM
Lifetime Member
Thank you Miss_Nova!!!!! finally did it!!!! you little ripper!

Cheers Bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 09-10-2012 , 09:36 AM
Banned
no its not done in PS. it is simple render in maya software. i have used two spot lights. one for main white beam and another for colorful dispersion. I don't know much if it could be rendered directly depending upon the reflection of rays in prism.
this method might not be technically right but this prism dispersion effect can be achieved with this simple method. to create that multicolor dispersion effect all you need to take a spot light and apply light fog and then in fog intensity apply procedural noise or fractal map.
this way u will get rays in fog and to make it colorful simply apply 7 colored gradient in the light color later on you can increase the size of dispersion effect by using regions of fog. i hope this will solve your problem.

# 14 09-10-2012 , 04:39 PM
SM Tea Boy

no its not done in PS.

err wrong thread

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 15 09-10-2012 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
Just did a search on that guy's response (if indeed it is a person), and it was said by another member ages back in a different thread... No idea why anyone would do such things...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D