Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 06-08-2003 , 01:19 AM
Subscriber
I started fiddling with it waay back on the amiga, doing simple primitives and raytracing (that took forever on the old 500). Then came a long pause where I mostly played games. I then picked it up again when 3dsmax came out, and been doing very sporadicly since then. Only recently when I got into university, and in particular these last 4 months, have I really started to learn and create stuff. What sparked my latest enthusiasm was a course in 3d modelling and animation I took last spring, and some lectures (by Ken Perlin, etc.) that really got me thinking. Been around long, but not gotten very far ey? user added image

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.

Last edited by fredriksson; 06-08-2003 at 01:22 AM.
# 17 06-08-2003 , 01:41 AM
Yep, same here. I was going around 2 miles per hour, and now Ive kicked it up to 20

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 18 06-08-2003 , 08:57 AM

i just starte when first Strata studio as releasing

yeah its long time ago the brother of a exGrilfriend was modelling with Starta Studio Pro and lather he get MAYA 2 from his parent (techers here get very big sell)

so i was intersted because i saw what dimensions in sience fiction will e possible.

also all the movies where they used CGI was turning me into interests.

user added image

https://lab.palindrom.ch
https://www.achermann.cc
: daijobe desu :
# 19 08-08-2003 , 01:58 AM
I just stmbled upon it... i was dong 2d stuff long before tho so i just thougth i wud see how i go

FX supervisor - double negative
# 20 08-08-2003 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
This is gonna sound REALLY REALLY weird to some of you but I got interested in 3D back when Bryce was first out and I remember palying around with it on my friend's PC.... basically I made a torus, turned it, made the surroundings dark...and I stuck a Omni light right in the middle of the hole of the torus.... then.. I put a defult texture on the torus (something like marble/stone/orange type of thing) and when I rendered it... I said... "WOW..... this is what I wanna do!!!" user added image

-Emo

# 21 08-08-2003 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
I just started with 3D ... because of the awsome effects I saw in some movies user added image
I tried some different programmes... started with 3D Max, then tried LightWave... but thought that the best programme is Maya, so now I'm here user added image I'm still really n00b... but did 2 complete video tuts.

But ... now I've got spare-time user added image So plenty of time to learn this programme. (recently ended my relation of 3 yrs.) So I hope to get some better soon user added image

whatever!
# 22 08-08-2003 , 09:06 AM
Subscriber
I think The Abyss was the thing that really got me interested in 3d graphics.
Been playing around with differert software since 1990 (3d Studo for Amiga, initially) but has just these last months started to understand the beauty of Maya user added image
When I'm done with this summers 3dsmax work, hopefully I will never have to use it again, and can start doing serious stuff in Maya.
It's Fredrikssons fault, this Maya thing. Love you man user added image

- S

Stefan Doverud
<a href="https://www.doverud.com/">www.doverud.com</a>
# 23 08-08-2003 , 12:51 PM
Vampus
I'm going to semi-hyjack this thread user added image

So we now know why you got into it, but what do you want to DO with it?

If I ever wanted to do 3D professionally*, I'd like to do photorealism modelling for film. How about you? user added image

*I don't want to get into 3d professionally. My interest in feature film directing. I got into maya as a hobby and saw it as a good oppotunity to learn about the 3d side of things, so when i become famous and want to do a 3d heavy movie, I'll know what I'm talking about :p

# 24 08-08-2003 , 02:39 PM
Eeegads. Thats a tough question. Ive no long plans for anything, let alone the direction Maya is going to take me. The most immediate maya related thing Im doing it starting a website of low poly models for props and backdrop items in games.

Look out for ickysworld.com coming... before hell freezes over.

# 25 08-08-2003 , 05:31 PM
Id like to get into creating new series of cartoons or spawn style 3d series.created and directed buy me.with a little help from my staff .user added image

# 26 08-08-2003 , 05:35 PM
Honestly the idea of specializing scares me. I wanna do it all!
But of course, i guess id rather be master of one trade, than jack of all. i'm leaning a bit toward something like a TD though.

________

- Jacob
# 27 08-08-2003 , 05:43 PM
what made me starting 3d was, believe it or not, southpark....im a freak of that show, and when i found out that they were using Maya...i decided to try the PLE....and i just got hooked...

- TwEeK
# 28 08-08-2003 , 05:45 PM
They use Maya to make Southpark?!??!!! ??

# 29 08-08-2003 , 05:49 PM
yep................

- TwEeK
# 30 08-08-2003 , 05:59 PM
Vampus
You sure? I'm pretty sure I've seen some BTS stuff of it, and they were doing it all by hand. All the characters have a "set" of expressions that are interchanged when needed.