Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 10-03-2005 , 12:48 PM

knockoff spitfire?

i have to say i love the site and the tuts, and the people here, but please please please dont put up tuts like the spitfire one!!! as a brit and a designer it is more than mildly offensive to see something that resembles the elegant lines of the spitfire about as much as a utilitarian toaster! what the hell are those wheels???
please dont put up innacurate representations of design classics! x
i really do love the site, it's just a personal niggle thats all.

Last edited by moshungrafik; 10-03-2005 at 12:51 PM.
# 2 10-03-2005 , 12:58 PM
# 3 10-03-2005 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
I agree about the wheels, although the rest of the model looks fine. Maybe whoever is recording the tute could put the release back a few days while they correct the wheels.

Hopefully the tute also goes over modelling the cockpit. It would be great to see that classic joystick modelled properly in Maya!

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 4 10-03-2005 , 06:44 PM
Nice pics... As far as the wheels go they will be just like the wheels of my model kit. The preview shot of the plane in the newsletter was a early render just to let you all know what we have coming out. The wheels have changed a lot and have got a lot chubbier like the ones in your links.

The spitfire model I have is about 6 inches long and the shape is formed from actual drawings of the side front and top views.

I try to model as close to the reference as I can but the main purpose of the tut is to teach techniques of modeling not to design an actual airplane.

For the cockpit I have not modeled the inside yet. I can add those parts later on.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 11-03-2005 , 01:41 AM
After reading this topic, I checked my mail and didn't have a newsletter from SimplyMaya. So, I checked my SM Forum Options and realized that I had "Allow Bulletin Board Administrators and Moderators To Send You Email Notices?" set to "No." If one of the Administrators would be so kind as to resend this newsletter to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.user added image

# 6 11-03-2005 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
I only just got the newsletter today didn't know what moshungrafik was on about till I opened it up, but as it is a screen shot and not a render I think that stills shows that it was in progress

# 7 11-03-2005 , 06:30 PM
Heres what the model looks like after testing out the uv's with a checker map.

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 8 12-03-2005 , 12:27 AM
Thanks to whoever sent me the newsletter!user added image

# 9 14-03-2005 , 09:09 AM
Kevin
One thing that needs to be pointed out here is that the tutorials are made "on the fly" so some details may or may not be dead acurate.

Try recording a tutorial and trying to explain what you are doing as well as creating a super lifelike model. Its dam hard.

But kurt has changed a few parts

Regards

Kevin

# 10 14-03-2005 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber
I really appreciate the amount of hard work that goes into creating these videos, and I also appreciate the fact that is extremely difficult tp create a super realistic model while explaining what is done. I have the utmost respect for people that can do this, and for modellers in general - indeed, that is why I am buying modelling tutes from you guys. I really need to learn how to model well, and you guys here at Simply Maya are great teachers.

I can only speak for myself here, but, as an Englishman, born and bred, I find it hard not to point out areas like the wheels here, especially on something as important to Britain as the Spitfire. I know it can sometimes be petty, and pointing out small things like this can be annoying to the people who have worked so hard to create these models, but it is just because I am so proud of the Spitfire, and the role it played in defending my country.

I am sorry for any trouble my reply to the original post has caused, but I really appreciate the fact the Kurt has reworked some parts.

The test image using the checker texture looks great, and I am really looking forward to being able to download the tutorial.

How long will the discount offer last?

Sorry again for any trouble caused by the crit.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 11 14-03-2005 , 05:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
crits don't cause trouble. user added image They help avoid it!

# 12 14-03-2005 , 05:57 PM
Dont worry mate.. Crits are good thing... makes me look at my work a different way with fresh eyes that are not my own.. I do see small differences in the model plane I bought and the links you have given.

Kurt

# 13 31-03-2005 , 10:34 PM
SM Tea Boy
Enough said user added image

BTW the site is run by an english company just FYI

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 14 31-03-2005 , 10:52 PM
SM Tea Boy
opps forgot the dam image

Attached Thumbnails

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 15 01-04-2005 , 06:48 AM
Subscriber
WOW user added image That looks great!. How did you go about doing the clouds?

Cheers,
Malcolm