Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-06-2003 , 05:55 PM
Subscriber

Building cloth cage for trenchcoat

Well, we don't have a spot for cloth related threads, so I'll post this here. What I'm wondering is how to build a cage for a trenchcoat for a charcter. You use curves to build a cage and the end of each curve must meet up with another to create a closed space. All curves must be coplaner meaning that they were created on the same plane. What's more is that you can only move the vertices of these curves on this plane if you want a curved cloth.

So far, I have only been able to make cloth from squares. I cannot use the EP curve tool to build my own curves and make cloth out of them for some reason. Right now, I have the trenchcoat cage made from about 18 squares. I took each square and made a cloth panel, then a garment. You can stitch cloth together by selecting two curves and choosing cloth>seam. This works most of the time, but whenever my cloth takes a hard turn, like around the colar area, all other cloth disappears.

Any suggestion?

# 2 19-06-2003 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
Nevermind I figured out what I was doing wrong. Apparently, whenever you get some pieces seamed together, it becomes "easier" to seam together certain other parts. Also, you have to get each square really close to each other in order to seam. On top of all that, the order of selection *occasionally* has something to do with it all. Cloth is sensitive only when you are trying to seam. Whenever you get it all put together, you can scale, rotate, and move you squares pretty much where ever you want carefree and they will modify your cloth accordingly.

*EDIT* Carp. I'm still having trouble with the colar. I figured since all was going well, it would work, but it isn't. I have everything lined up perfectly, but it still won't seam correctly.

Last edited by Darkware; 19-06-2003 at 06:30 PM.
# 3 21-06-2003 , 03:01 AM
Subscriber