Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 30-01-2004 , 08:49 PM

[newbie question] smooth proxy result...

hi community...

well, i have a "problem". A totaly newbie problem, for sure.. user added image I searched a lot but do not found any answers why it happens like that...

i made a veeeery simple poly objekt. a cube, several extrusions und some moving around of vertexes. after that i want to smooth it. give it a organic look... just very rounded... i attached a picture of the result. everything is smoothed but the part there i moved the vertexes...

and another question. i tried to convert the same object in a SubD to smooth it. But then, the eyeparts (i know, do not look like that. *G*) went away from the object... mhmmm...

Hope you can help me. And sooooooorry for the terrible english.

Martin aka Auctor

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-01-2004 , 11:34 PM
wel this is totaly newbi answer:
go to polygon and clik on smooth or smooth proxy, now you can yus select the polygons that you need.

i hope that i have been of some help, sory for english

# 3 30-01-2004 , 11:37 PM
ok again:
press F3 on you keyboard and in the meni go too polygons left of the edit polygons meni and ther you can clik on smooth or smooth proxy (bether smooth) to smooth you polygons, you can smooth just few polygons if you select them first

# 4 31-01-2004 , 12:37 AM
thanks for your answer... But i think you missunderstood me. user added image The object is already smoothed. (smooth proxy). But that area you see on the picture unsmoothed just don´want to be smooth too! user added image no matter if i smooth normal or smooth proxy (tried a lot of options) the area with the eye don´t want to become rounded.

# 5 31-01-2004 , 02:20 AM
Auctor: Its in subd from the looks correct? You cant convert polygon figures to subd if they have more than 5 sides. So if the eye is made in the middle of the mesh it wont conform correctly an dhave problems later.

Also if your trying to smooth then pull the eye out it might be better to shape the eye then smooth the whole thing.

# 6 31-01-2004 , 09:22 AM
thank you. it is really a problem of the geometrie. i have more than 5 sides and so i can´t transform it. i will start again. user added image

thx for your help!