Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-09-2019 , 03:53 AM

Creating a cage with constant dimensions along poly edges

Hello!

I'm wondering if there is a way to conveniently make a cage around an existing polygon.

I have this ship that I'm texturing. It has separate tiling materials for certain faces. I want to make a sort of border that separates adjacent faces with different materials. The border needs to maintain a constant width and height as it follows the edge.

Previously, I've done it a couple of times before with the following:
  1. Snap cubes at the edge's vertices
  2. Use a Orient constraint to point cubes at the following one
  3. Extrude the faces until they overlap
  4. Use a Union boolean to merge them and then clean up excess and overlapping faces

As you can see, it's a pretty big pain in the butt to do this over and over again as well as dealing with more than a couple of intersections, and I was wondering if I was missing something fundamental.

I've attached some pictures to illustrate my intended result.

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-10-2019 , 02:13 PM
Couldn't you just create separate objects as your borders and texture/material them separately? Or extract the borders from the existing mesh even?