Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 25-10-2004 , 03:03 AM

Beginner in need of help

I've literally been working with Maya for less than a week now, and I've been exploring the UI as well as the different modeling techniques. I was attempting to create a human hand using Sub Divs. and I ran across a slight problem. Early in the creation phase I didn't have enough faces where the top and palms of the hand would be. Now that I'm done with a rough draft, I see that there's nasty lines converging in the center of the top and bottom of the hand, much like a spider web.

Is there a way that I could change that, or smooth the rough spots without affecting the rest of the hand?

I've included a picture of my problem. Also there are more screen shots and the actual project scene here:

https://oregonstate.edu/~rhodesd/Hand/

Thanks guys!

Attached Thumbnails

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."
# 2 25-10-2004 , 05:58 AM
post a low poly wire frame..

# 3 25-10-2004 , 06:21 AM
I realize that I totally messed up by tuning the vertices while still in poly proxy mode, and then when I changed to standard I didn't realize how much control I had over the object, so I'm just wondering if it is recoverable. Here's a a wire frame in standard mode.

Edit: For future reference can you export a wireframe of the model or render a wireframe view? If so, how?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

"We don't actually need to know that the main character has a past. All we need to know is that he has an objective and a lot of people are going to die and a lot of innocent inanimate objects are going to be destroyed and blown up before he can complete that objective."

Last edited by Lifire; 25-10-2004 at 06:25 AM.
# 4 25-10-2004 , 09:41 PM

# 5 26-10-2004 , 04:42 AM
In standard mode, there is a verticy there (center of hand) on display level 2, I can select it and move it, but I can not delete it. In poly proxy mode, there is no vertex there. The hand started as a poly cube and then I extruded the fingers from there, so between the wrist and the fingers there aren't many edges or vertices.

I have tried a multitude of things attempting to fix it. I converted it to a nurbs surface and used the surface sculpt tool. Didn't work. I tried refining the area and adjusting the finer vertices. Didn't work either.

It would be all the more easier to start over I think, but I would like to know for future reference how to fix such a problem (aside from planning ahead).

My scene is here: https://oregonstate.edu/~rhodesd/Hand/Hand.mb

I hope it assists in finding a solution or to better understand my problem.

# 6 26-10-2004 , 04:46 AM
i cant open the file.. is it maya 6? I have maya 5

# 7 26-10-2004 , 04:48 AM
Yes, it is maya 6. user added image

# 8 26-10-2004 , 04:50 AM
post the proxy

# 9 26-10-2004 , 04:53 AM
Proxy:

Attached Images

# 10 26-10-2004 , 05:34 AM
thats the problem.. youve got to connect the vertices that are between the fingers to the wrist..

# 11 27-10-2004 , 04:52 AM

# 12 27-10-2004 , 09:58 PM
its all in word form.. post something I can download..

# 13 27-10-2004 , 10:22 PM
Nevermind. I'll just restart from scratch since I don't know how to connect those vertices as you suggest. I've tried a few methods, and since you can't open the scene (I followed a guide to convert it to a maya 5.0 ascii file, which opens fine in 6.0 and says its an older version), but nothing has worked.

Thanks for trying I guess.

# 14 28-10-2004 , 01:27 AM
its really easy to fix, but whatever...