Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 12-03-2006 , 06:40 PM
thnx
I reckon it's because of the eyes? they do need work, but I'd like to keep em large (lookin for a bit of a realistic/manga look. I guess puttin more accent on the eye-sockets (placin it a bit deeper) will make her look a bit less 'area51'
The blackness of the eye also contributes to the alien-look which I defenitely wanna get rid of...

Right now i'm quite happy with the way the lips go.. Like i said; nosejob next, then onto the eye-area..

'surf now, apocalypse later'
# 17 12-03-2006 , 07:36 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

# 18 13-03-2006 , 02:34 PM
thanks i'll look into that
i'm also inspired by an artist whose name i forgot; britisch, makes sculptures out of latex, super-realistic, old people and kids with too large feet or too long arms, weird necks.. i'll look up the name. The work of Loretta Lux has got that inbetween subtile style aswell..

Here i put in an eyeball; makes the face more alive...

Attached Thumbnails

# 19 13-03-2006 , 04:33 PM
Technical Director
I think what is making it look a bit "alien" like, is the jaw bone. You have it way too deep, making it look like the back of the head is "growing", typical of alien designs.

Its definently getting there mate! Don't render it out too soon though becuase we can't really see what it looks like.

Also, it helps to assign a blinn material onto the mesh to make it easier to spot imperfections.

Cheers mate!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 20 14-03-2006 , 01:40 PM
ok thanks, i'll get into that jawbone..
I previously modeled me girl's ear, so getting that ear up there will make her more human..
About the rendering: I used a default sss-skin shader, one pointlight with decay and the preview-fg setting (all default).. renders fast and gives a sort of nice preview for me..
Started the torso...

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 14-03-2006 , 01:47 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Its not the jaw bone its the eyes and head size. The eyes are too slanted, bring thecranium down a little.

Jay

# 22 14-03-2006 , 02:08 PM
hey jay,
with slanted you mean, the angle goes too much up? (like a 'V'?)
Me girl's eyes are a bit slanted like that.. But I must make it a bit more subtile.
I want to achieve a style, a bit between cartoonistic and realistic..
Ron Mueck makes these incredible sculptures with weird proportions, I'm working towards something like that.. maybe slightly more manga-ish...

but thanx for feedback..

Attached Images