Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 21-09-2006 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber
Mind if you post a wire so I can see how I should go about the body?

# 17 22-09-2006 , 08:04 AM
Subscriber
thank you Jay for the comments.

I will post a wire shortly

# 18 22-09-2006 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
Here is some progress on the thighs. I owe you a wireframe shot...

Attached Images
# 19 23-09-2006 , 05:24 AM
Subscriber

.~.

Good work Minstrel, it is coming along nicely! user added image

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 20 23-09-2006 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
Here is another update. Feet are next.

Attached Images
# 21 23-09-2006 , 11:21 AM
The top of his legs are a bit big, dont you think?

Or ae you going for an over exaggerated look to that area?

Cheers

# 22 23-09-2006 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
Abs seem awfully undefined for someone so built, might want to look at some more pics of a six pack.

# 23 23-09-2006 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber
Thx for the comments guys, i will be doing lots of fine tunning once I finish the feet and arms.

# 24 23-09-2006 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber
Nice but one crit i do have,
is that your quads are a tad large for your
character... looks like all he does is squats and leg extentions...
especially the vastus lateralis. (Facing outside)
Your Vastus Medialis is normally a little more pronounced.
(above knee and to the inside)

Great work though, Keep it up!!!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 25 24-09-2006 , 05:10 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments toxic. Im thinking the legs are a bit too defined and causes the upper body to look inadequate. I want this guy to look strong and big, but not excessively defined. This means softening some of the muscles. About the legs looking too big i was actually worried that the upperbody was too big in relation to the legs, not the other way around as you are suggesting. I'll tone down the legs slightly and see what happens, but they are not too far off.

The reference picture I used only showed muscles...there was no sking or anything else, but it was clearly from a bodybuilder. In fact, when i overlaid the reference pic over some bodybuilder it fit perfectly. These guys have bumps in very strange places...like the one on the sides of the waist area. There is actually a muscle there, its not fat hehe.

Finding the balance between big, strong, and defined is the key to the "warrior" look im trying to get to. Right now it looks big, strong, and defined...I'll tone down the definition and see where that gets me.

Anyways, keep the comments coming.

Cheers.

# 26 27-09-2006 , 06:50 PM
Subscriber
Well, i had to do quite a bit of reconstructive surgery on this guy because from the side I had it quite wrong...I got another reference pic from the side and it turns out I guessed wrong on quite a few things. Amazing how little we really know about human bodies until we try to build one...

I also tweaked pretty much everything on the body and feel good enough about it now to start with the feet. I did find the quads were a bit too big as Toxic had suggested, so I toned them down.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 17-10-2006 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys, its been a while since I posted anything here. I have been too busy playing WOW...shameful, what can I say. In any case, I managed to finish the feet. Got the shape but there is very little detail on it, i.e. no toe nails. Since I wont be doing any close ups it will not be needed. I have retweaked the legs quite a bit and the chest area, but the area that I started focusing on are the shoulders and the arms. There is a lot of work left in here, but its coming along.

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 17-10-2006 , 03:38 AM
hmmm... very nice but I think the toes look a bit flat to me ... can I have a closer look to em?

# 29 17-10-2006 , 02:48 PM
incredibly nice work!!!!

the only thing that looks kind of off to me is the insanely large thigh muscles. I guess that it could be humanly possible to have developed to that extent, but maybe the calf muscles would have to be more developed also. Maybe if the two met somewhere in the middle (thighs slightly smaller, calves slightly bigger) it would balance more.

but seriously... excellent modeling skills that you have here!!!

# 30 18-10-2006 , 07:19 AM
Subscriber
S3R: I will be tweaking the toes a bit more once I get the hands started. Once I get to that point I'll do some close ups.

Pix: Thanks for the comments. Sice you are the 10th person pointing out how big the thighs are I went in there and made them smaller. I do agree they look better now. I started doing the forearm and hopefully I can get started with the hands soon.

I will be tweaking the abdomen and adding a belly button. I may also throw in the nipples. Might as well after all the work i've put into this.

Attached Thumbnails