Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 08-11-2009 , 01:39 PM

rendering a circular projector screen

Hi,
i'd like to create a 360 degree projector screen, actually the inner side of a cylinder. The projectors are in the middle of the cylinder.

The image shouldn't be actually projected, it's enough if it looks like that. I wonder what's the best approach to achieve this effect. I suppose the screen should be some sort of a light source itself to have a constant luminosity throughout and not to be affected by the lighting of the scene.

Any help highly appreciated.

Last edited by dogfood; 08-11-2009 at 02:55 PM.
# 2 08-11-2009 , 05:11 PM
Technical Director
Create a new lambert material. Set the color to black. Map a file texture onto the incandescence slot, and choose the image you want projected. Go back to the material, and under hardware texturing, set the first drop down to incandescence.

That should be what you're after.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 09-11-2009 , 10:19 AM
Many thanks, mate, i'll go try it out now.

# 4 09-11-2009 , 01:34 PM
I might be doing something wrong but there's no such option under hardware texturing. (see attached screenshot). I'm using maya 2010.

user added image

Anyways the texture seems to work, at least with mental ray (though not with maya software)

# 5 09-11-2009 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
what about hardware shading?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 10-11-2009 , 01:51 PM
seems to be ok, for some reason there's a lot more settings under hw texturing now. i didn't actually change anything just reopened the scene. it looks perfect, thanks for your help.

# 7 12-11-2009 , 02:31 PM
Technical Director
No problem mate. user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.