Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-01-2004 , 11:02 PM

Car modelling help. Poly -> sub-d

Hello.

I've been modelling this car for 3 days and I'm stuck after I do poly -> subd conversion (I'm a total newbie)

I followed almost the same precedure from https://deep.sitenest.net/tutorials/maya/car4/

pic 1. poly of my car. looks too square so decided to go for subd.
user added image

pic 2. wire frame.
user added image

So I converted to subd. And the result came out pretty bad.

pic 3. ugly fender.
user added image

Not only the fender isn't round but also look at that thing!
I figured out if I triangulate the fender, it becomes round but still, that thing doesn't dissapear.

pic 4. wire frame of the fender.
user added image

and another bad boy..

pic 5. head light.
user added image

I just want that part to be smooth.

pic 6. wire frame
user added image

so.... could somebody help me to flatten that thing?

Thank you for viewing this. user added image
btw, I also tried polygon -> smooth option.. and didn't work out well. Anyone know the reason?

Last edited by hutsori; 06-01-2004 at 11:06 PM.
# 2 06-01-2004 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
could we see a wire of the poly befor you convert ? a close up of the problem area ? if you don't want to go back to polys with some undo's, you can put the subD in to poly proxy.. looks like you just have a vertix out of place..

# 3 06-01-2004 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
It is hard to see why it turns so ugly without a lowpoly wireframe closeup of the area, but I'd wager a guess that you have 5-sided or more polygons. Keep it to quads as much as possible and only triangles where necessary and it will convert better to subd's and smooth way better with polysmooth too.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 4 07-01-2004 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
It would be a LOT smoother in polygons if you made the normals smooth. (EditPolys>Normals>Smooth/Harden options box) Set the value to smooth out the normals and press "ok." A big part of poly modeling is knowing how to mess with the normals correctly.

You can, of course, continue to persue sub-div's if you wish, but I really do think polys are easier.

# 5 07-01-2004 , 01:49 AM
# 6 07-01-2004 , 01:51 AM
oh well.. bigger pic thing didn't work out.
so I'll just directly upload.

Another problem area.

Thanks guys.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Saiyan; 08-01-2004 at 01:37 AM.
# 7 07-01-2004 , 04:36 AM
Subscriber
You have way too many sides on those polygons. As I said, for clean results in subd or smooth you need 4 sided polygons. I see several places where you can weld (hold v for vertexsnap and drag 2 verts ontop of eachother, edit polygons -> merge vertices) vertices. Keep it clean and it will smooth clean. If you absolutely have to (which you will, in most complex models) you can use triangles. Hope this helps. If you need detail you need to cut using the split polygon tool. Your car looks really nice, but these principles will come back and haunt you if you don't do them correctly.

edit:
I don't think you're an idiot, I just wanted to be overly obvious and clear in what I meant.

Attached Thumbnails

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.

Last edited by fredriksson; 07-01-2004 at 04:44 AM.
# 8 07-01-2004 , 05:19 AM
hey fredriksson.
Thanks. definately helped alot. I fixed the fender a little. It got much better. user added image

# 9 07-01-2004 , 06:02 AM
Subscriber
insted of welding most of thoughs verts you can just delit them. 4 sides polys are def prefitable !!! remmeber to use the split poly tool on the fenders though.. you will need some edges to make the 4 sides polys there on the finders. so you can delit or weld the verts..

# 10 07-01-2004 , 11:55 PM
Thank you guys for your input.
I've got much better result now.

here's a pic

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Saiyan; 08-01-2004 at 01:36 AM.
# 11 07-01-2004 , 11:58 PM
And I got another question.

how do you make door gaps in subd?
should I extraud face in poly? or is there a better way for it?

and in the above pic, there are little white dots everywhere. How would I fix that too?

Again, many thanks for viewing this.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Saiyan; 08-01-2004 at 01:44 AM.
# 12 08-01-2004 , 01:47 AM
I tweaked your pics to be smaller....should be about the same quality only now they are 800x600

try and keep them maximum 800x600....maybe run it through PS to get the filesize down as well.....every little bit helps

Hey I was in a good mood user added image

Good job so far btw user added image