Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 28-03-2004 , 06:25 PM

My Moose

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a moose, I have to finish the model and a few blendShapes til next week - Tight deadline! Hope you could give me some good crits, I could really need them.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 2 28-03-2004 , 07:55 PM
Hehehe!!! Nice model man!!

-------------------------------------------
# 3 29-03-2004 , 12:29 AM
Looks great !! user added image

# 4 29-03-2004 , 06:12 AM
I like him.. very humerous head features. tho his antlers look like scary hands.

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus
# 5 30-03-2004 , 10:16 PM
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 6 31-03-2004 , 02:11 AM
Great start.... looking forward to updates...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 7 01-04-2004 , 09:17 AM
He looks really nice! The antlers kinda look like catchers mits, but they add to his charm.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 01-04-2004 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber
Hi Thomas Mahler - as a canadian who grew up in the north I've seen a few moose and i think this moose has a great comic, moose-like face. Two things I notice:

1. a few others have commented on it as well, the antlers. They are very definitive for a moose so I think it's mportant to get the antlers right to make the whole 'moose' impression complete. The antlers ends are too pointed, too long and the bowl shape is a little unnatural looking.

2. The other thing I notice is that the nose on a moose is pretty oval and the lips king of pucker out and forward. This is an odd idiosyncrosy unique to the moose - different than by caribou, elk, deer etc. By your moose the nose seems a little square. Could be missing a bit of comic possibility there.

I think it's fine to not be realistic: the eye doesn't mind three fingers on comic charters, only you still find the thumb and fingers in relatively standard opposition, even on comic characters. Anyway, hopefully the comments are of use.

Did I mention? Damn fine character - i think the animation is probably going to be hilarious. Is it an ad?

Attached Thumbnails

Check out the subsurfacescattering on my tongue...

<a href="https://www.reitzmachine.com">www.reitzmachine.com</a>
# 9 01-04-2004 , 11:02 AM

Originally posted by ereitz
1. a few others have commented on it as well, the antlers. They are very definitive for a moose so I think it's mportant to get the antlers right to make the whole 'moose' impression complete. The antlers ends are too pointed, too long and the bowl shape is a little unnatural looking.

You're definately right, most people tell me that the antlers are not correct and I'm with them - It's really hard to get them more "moosish" - I'll do that after the general shape of the model is complete. They could be bigger too.

2. The other thing I notice is that the nose on a moose is pretty oval and the lips king of pucker out and forward. This is an odd idiosyncrosy unique to the moose - different than by caribou, elk, deer etc. By your moose the nose seems a little square. Could be missing a bit of comic possibility there.

Well, he used to look like a donkey... hehe. I don't know if I'll have time left to correct this, but yeah, it's a kinda weird interpretation!

I think it's fine to not be realistic: the eye doesn't mind three fingers on comic charters, only you still find the thumb and fingers in relatively standard opposition, even on comic characters. Anyway, hopefully the comments are of use.

Did I mention? Damn fine character - i think the animation is probably going to be hilarious. Is it an ad?

Well, thanks a lot. Very cool crits, I'll definately change some things according to them!

I hope the animation will be as funny as I imagine - I also think about a joint driven facial animation system to let him sing to some of my favourite songs... Well, don't know yet.

No, it's not for an ad, it's for a short slapstick that'll be produced here in Austria - The moose will be placed on the wall of a cottage and starts yodeling.

Again, thanks for the crits!

# 10 01-04-2004 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
Hi Thomas Mahler - glad to have been of any help.

By the way, I'm living right around the corner from you in Munich. I applied to Rabkat Games in Vienna but they didn't hire me. I'm working freelance here in Munich.

Good luck with the short. Be sure and post a link here on Simply Maya.

# 11 01-04-2004 , 07:28 PM
Hey Ereitz,

And how's your work going in Germany? I heard that it's especially hard to get jobs in Germany. Well, but there a lot of great schools there, like the German Film School.

Well, I also tried to get a job at Rabcat, but they seem to be pretty dainty ;-)

Thanks, yeah, I'll post links for sure!

# 12 01-04-2004 , 08:51 PM
Subscriber
Hi Thomas Mahler - yeah the work situation in Germany is not ideal. I went to a 3d school in Canada, worked for about 6 months and came over back here to be with my girlfriend - she's German. I lived here from 98 to 2002 and came back 2003. I had heard there aren't a lot of Maya artists in Germany. That is true but there are a lot of out of work 3d artists in general so it's tough to find work. I've managed to find a couple of freelance jobs so it's a good start. Hopefully they'll lead to more work.

Are you working in Austria?

One question about the joint driven facial animation - I wonder why joint driven? Why not blendshapes? Just curious.

# 13 01-04-2004 , 09:45 PM

Great

I love the character that you have created. Are you planning on adding a body to him? It looks like you have created some face expressions, nice. Have funny and good work.

Troy

# 14 02-04-2004 , 08:41 AM
Hey Troy,

Thanks, man! No, his head will be hanging on a wall in a cottage, he's meant to just hang around and start yodeling at some point of a scene :-)

No, I'm not finished with modeling by now, so I did not create any expressions yet, but I really wanted that also in his standard pose he'd have some expression in his face. It has to be a strong "character" and I guess with good facial expressions he'll be!

Okay, have to finish his hair today and start modeling the expressions tomorrow.

Thanks for the crits guys, they're really helpful!

# 15 02-04-2004 , 09:05 PM