Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-04-2005 , 10:39 PM

Student prices

Just a sugestion:
You should have student prices for your tutorials. I know that you have proberly had thousands of people ask you this but for a student paying for tutorials worth hundreads of US dollars while still at school is a bit too much. You would proberly have to have some kind of prof that you are at school (id) or something so everyone doesnt say they're students, but i think you would get alot more students buying your tutorials this way. Just consider it.
Thanks heaps.
P:S when i go to buy any of your tutorials that are on dvd (flamethrower, trex, ect) it tells me that DVD ordering is presently off-line and it will return shortly. Well its been doing this for 1.5 weeks now, how longer do you guys think it will do this for? Thanks user added image

# 2 18-04-2005 , 10:47 PM
yeah Mrs Piggy I agree with you because im a student as well and can't afford many of these tutorials because most of my money is going towards my school stuff and I do think they should have a student discount...

# 3 18-04-2005 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
It's a hard call, because when you take into consideration the price of Maya, the price of the hardware required to run it and the cost of making these tutorials available as a download in terms of bandwidth, the tutorials are well priced when you consider what you get for your money. They are a fraction of the price of PCs and Maya.

At the end of the day Simply Maya have the cost of running a business and they need to be profitable. You can get free points by being voted Member of the Month by the moderators, or by entering challenges or simply download the many free videos in the Free Tutorial section.

Cheers and Good luck

Last edited by BMS; 18-04-2005 at 11:08 PM.
# 4 19-04-2005 , 12:35 AM
SM Tea Boy
DVD's will be back tommrow. System is being converted so you can pay in points for DVDs as well as in cash.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 19-04-2005 , 08:13 AM
BMS
I appreciate that simplymaya costs alot to run and all, but my point is that you arn't going to get many students buying the tutorials at this price. A tutorial worth hundreds of dollars is going to take you AGES to buy if your a student paying in nz dollars without a job, when like Spishak said, most of or money does go towards out school courses. Thats why i recon you guys should have student prices, mainly beacuse students that dont have the money wont buy the tutorials, so the site and the student wont get anything out of it. But simplymaya could put out student prices then students could buy the tutorials at a affordable price and simplymaya and students would get something out of it. JUST a suggestion. Anyfeed back would be appreciated user added image
Thx

# 6 19-04-2005 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
Students can by maya Unlimited for under $400 USD, the rest of us are looking at $7000 USD. How much a break do you want? user added image

There are a significant amount of free tutorials on the web. SM does have some freebies that the starving student can access. So do digital-tutors, and that G workshop place. SM seems to have the comparable pricing standards to all the other video tutorial resources.

They only video tutorial makers that I could find that offers student pricing is Alias itself and its about $15 dollars off a $200 dollar product. You may have better luck with a site such as www.studica.com

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 19-04-2005 at 09:39 AM.
# 7 19-04-2005 , 09:37 AM
Subscriber
I think of it as like this. They already are at student priceing. A whole lot of people here are students.

# 8 19-04-2005 , 09:44 AM
Subscriber
miss piggy,

Yes I understand where you're coming from, but they do have free tutorials which are great . . man that's better than student prices user added image

Cheers
Paul

# 9 19-04-2005 , 10:34 AM
sorry didn't mean to cause a uproar. Just a suggestion if you dont like it it just ignore it. Thanks for ur replys. hehe, still think its good idea.
Thx guys