Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-01-2006 , 12:06 PM

Why Use XSI over Maya

hiya

Im trying to create the work done on this site .

www.motionloops.com

Im creating very simple animtions with some simple shapes at the moment most of the shapes have reflections and a plastic surface. The renders have to be spot on.

Iv been learning XSI for the past three years and not got very far due to the lack of training out there, iv just started learning Maya and am wondering which program would be best to do this type of work in - XSI or Maya?

What do you people think

# 2 02-01-2006 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber
I dont think any of the two are better than the other. Both have mental ray so you should be able to get the same quality output from either package.

Choose the package you feel most comfortable with wether its based on learning material, tool set or community or whatever user added image

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 3 05-01-2006 , 10:47 PM
What he said... you're used to XSI -- are you good enough that it would only be an inconvenience to switch?

They only reason you'd really want to switch IMO is if you want MELScript to do algorythmic things for you. (Or make your own GUI for a tool or something)

# 4 06-01-2006 , 12:34 AM
Yuppers. What I love about Maya is the customibility. You can customize it with almost infinite options, and also MELscript comes literally in handy when you're trying to do a long job in a short time or apply something to single faces, edges, etc.