Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-12-2002 , 12:46 AM

LOST THREAD

I lost my mind trying to find the "How can we make it better?" thread. Anyways, I have a suggestion that kind of sucks for the members. Once the free tutorials section has a few entries in it, you should make an archive section in the VIP section and make it free to the VIP subscribers. Maybe just keep five or six downloads in the free section. I mean, with as much a hassle it is keeping this site running, you wouldn't want a new person to come to the site and get everything he needs in the free section. Since the tutorials were originally free, it wouldn't hurt to make them free for the VIP's once you have an archive section. I'm new to Maya and I haven't subscribed to the VIP section because I'm still trying to get good at basic modelling so I really don't have a need to get into the VIP section yet. And if the free section keeps getting bigger then it will be more the reason not to subscribe. sorry if I piss someone off.

the day we stop thinking is the day we start sinking
# 2 10-12-2002 , 01:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
we've got a ton of modeling VIP tutorials, dude! user added image

# 3 10-12-2002 , 01:45 AM
SM Tea Boy
no mike i think he means only keep 5 or 6 tuts in the free section so when a new free one comes out get rid of the oldest free one but we keep it archived in the VIP section this way we don’t end up with 100s of free videos for download, but the old stuff would still be avail to subscribers user added image

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 10-12-2002 , 08:35 AM
Kevin
you have a very good point laz, and one I have been thinking of hard right from the start!

your totally right: "why would some one join the VIP area (which incidently we need to keep this site up) if there are to many free tutorials?

well this is how I see it:

We do the free ones in the hope that guys like you would become as interested in Maya as myself and a lot of othere guys are...

Then we hope that the persone may think "i need more!!!!!"

OR

"dam ..that site gives sooo much that Im going to help it survive without nasty banners and pop ups... so Ill join the VIP area, not only will I accelerate my learning but I will also help the site"

user added image

kinda sarcastically put ...but true user added image

But it is a point that goes through my head each time I release a new freebie ... but I think we need at least a couple of quality freebies in each section. For instance, there needs to be a more advanced tutorial in each section

# 5 10-12-2002 , 02:24 PM
Hell, it worked for me.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 10-12-2002 , 05:00 PM
well truthfully, the tutorials have been extremly helpful to me. the free tuts are quality works. they have singlehandedly taught me what I know of Maya. but all the same, there aren't too many people in the world that would pay for something such as the VIP stuff, when they could get good stuff in the free section. especially for begginers. everything you need for a begginer is in the free section. from the looks of it, the VIP stuff is significantly more advanced.

# 7 10-12-2002 , 05:11 PM
Well, some are perhaps more advanced but I think what I like is that the tuts in the VIP section are more inclined to go through entire projects from modeling to setting up texture maps to lighting to final render, thus giving an overall workflow. As far as difficulty....I don't think that's much of an issue. Look at the sword modeling tutorial or the tie-fighter or the 3 point lighting. The only things I see as being more on the advanced side is the monster head, UV mapping, and maybe some of the dynamics (not so much that it's hard to follow directions, but more that they may demonstrate advanced concepts that take awhile to digest).

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 8 10-12-2002 , 05:15 PM
well, harder for me anyways

# 9 11-12-2002 , 12:09 AM
The Maya Mountain
The VIP tuts may be going over advanced material, but the kicker is that we explain the advanced material with the newbies in mind! You're gonna want to learn it somehow, and what better way than through a video?

# 10 11-12-2002 , 03:06 AM
i agree