Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 11-01-2003 , 08:40 PM
Kevin

Originally posted by mark_wilkins
user added image Actually I really would never barge into a forum like this and start plugging the book if there weren't already a discussion about it.

Anyway, this forum's a happy discovery and I hope I can add something useful.

-- Mark

hey that would be great mark - it seems we are all in need of mel help! me especially, so its great to have you here!

# 32 12-01-2003 , 12:48 AM
Sweet! Mark's here! Once I get the book, I'll start bugging him with questions. user added image

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 33 12-01-2003 , 01:18 AM
user added image Go for it!

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 34 15-01-2003 , 01:17 AM
SM Alumni

Originally posted by dannyngan
Sweet! Mark's here! Once I get the book, I'll start bugging him with questions. user added image

Join the que user added image Seems the book is out already in the states, but not in the UK. should be any day now though.. *crosses fingers*

# 35 15-01-2003 , 01:19 AM
SM Alumni

Originally posted by Kevin

you ever fancy moderating a mel area on a board ? user added image

you took the words straight out of my mouth... user added image I know you asked me to mod this area as at the time there was noone else about to do it, and it was strictly speaking "dead"... since its now picked up i have no qualms about standing down for someone else to jump on.

# 36 15-01-2003 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber
maybe mark could give us a few tut's for beginners in mel user added image user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 37 15-01-2003 , 03:49 AM
I've already taken care of that with the book, right? user added image user added image

Seriously, writing another MEL tutorial is about the LAST thing I want to do right now.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
www.melscripting.com
# 38 15-01-2003 , 05:29 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mark_wilkins
I've already taken care of that with the book, right? user added image user added image

Seriously, writing another MEL tutorial is about the LAST thing I want to do right now.

-- Mark

hahahahah I would imagine user added image

but we can still ask you quesitons about MEL problems right? user added image

-Emo

# 39 15-01-2003 , 05:33 AM
Absolutely!!

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
www.melscripting.com
# 40 18-01-2003 , 08:56 AM
Supreme Being
just a warm welcome from me too.. :p

# 41 29-01-2003 , 10:21 PM

use of MEL

I think that hobbyists of Maya need MEL for some specific things only (ex: I don't know how you would do anything with particles without MEL, but that's just me). I find MEL especially difficult to generate and manipulate geometry. I tried to make a script that worked with polygons at CV level, for example, and that got me swearing in 3 different languages... and I am no beginner programmer either!
I can see how in a company it would be used extensively to automatize parts of the workflow or operations done so frequently that you'd rather launch a script than repeat them over and over. But people toying with Maya at home probably find it easier to do things by hand than writing a script. At least that's the case for me...

PS: I found this great site because Mark Wilkins mentioned it in the Alias newsgroup, by the way. Thank you Mark!