Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 406 27-05-2006 , 06:18 AM

user added image

:bow:

# 407 27-05-2006 , 06:14 PM
Subscriber
CAn i offer my advice, as a gun advocate?..
Thanks. LoL

I'd go for a mix of the Military holster you have, and the F.B.I.'s Quick Draw idea.

Rotate that holster design you have by about 45 degrees, in the counter clockwise so that the Top of the gun is pointed down.. and the grip points upwards slightly...

Its a cross draw setup, I.E. you place the holster on your right hip if you draw with your left hand, and vice versa.. But, its VERY practical... reduces draw and aim time by about 20% on most people.. due to the motions your arm goes through with this setup...

And it looks cool as hell too... kind of a Wild Bill feel to it..

To do that, You woudlnt be able ot have the big loop comming off the top of the holster to the belt.. You'd have it set up so the belt passes throgu the holsetr at the correct angle, just behind the gun its self.

G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 408 27-05-2006 , 06:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey G

sweet, that did actually cross my mind in the design stage, but Im lefthanded myself and its comfy shooting a Webley Nemesis pistol this way too. hehehe:bandit:

Cheers
Jay

# 409 28-05-2006 , 04:14 PM
Update, nearly there...

Jay

user added image

# 410 28-05-2006 , 05:09 PM
wow, its amazing!:attn:

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 411 28-05-2006 , 09:24 PM
Hey Jay

I've been following the progress off this one from the start but as yet not posted.... It's lookin just awesome!

As a newbie, I'm always on the lookout for inspiration and let me tell you sir... You inspire me! :bow:

I also checked out your website & some of your concept artwork... amazing stuff. Your graphic novel, Bounty Hunters, looks like a right hoot (seems to almost have a Firefly feel to it). When do we get to read it???

Anyway M8, thanks for all your hard work. We all appreciate it!

user added image

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 412 28-05-2006 , 09:38 PM
Hey Joopson

Thanks man...

Hey Tiddles

Thank you for your kind words, its good to know somebody likes what I do, so thank you for looking.

Firefly? You're the third person today I've spoken to who's said that, Ive never seen it, is it Serenity related?

As far as getting to read the novel, is a good question.

I did start putting it online but I took it off the site, because my work turned a corner and improved so I had to stop and basically start over on this character who is actually the main character, plus I wasnt overly happy with her originally, so now I've really taken the time to go through it again thoroughly and produce the absolute best I can at this point. So basically I'm just gonna build build build for the next year and then start to put it all together next May. That is my deadline to start producing the goods. If the models that follow this are better then it will be a case of 'just get on with it and dont worry about it' as Im not redoing this one again, it would be a waste of my time.

Plus, the fact that Zbrush will be incorporated into my work very soon the models are gonna kick ass (in my eyes anyway)

Thanks again
Jay

# 413 28-05-2006 , 09:48 PM
Well I cant wait..

PS: Firefly is the TV series that preceded the movie Serenity with same cast & story lines. Just think space cowboys with a bunch of Buffy-esque humour mixed in.

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios
# 414 28-05-2006 , 10:31 PM
Yes, I have seen both Firefly and Serenity(although not in the right order, man I was confused :lmaouser added image and they are made by Joss Whedon. Buffy the vampire, I have to say, is intresting, but Buffy herself is a moody piece of cake...

Love what your doing man, this is better then the games coming out right now, the smoothness. I have not even SEEN a render yet user added image

congratulations, bobalie

# 415 29-05-2006 , 01:26 PM
Subscriber
man I.m hanging for the texture, you have the patience of a jedi!

always an inspiration !

take it easy and life will be easy
# 416 29-05-2006 , 08:30 PM
Hey Guys

Many thanks for your words of support, I'm looking ahead to texturing, just tweaking final uvs, as I missed a couple earlier on, almost there, will post more in a day or two once I get started.

Cheers
Jay

# 417 29-05-2006 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
Hi Jay,

Just spent the last half hour or so going througn this thread . . . truely awesome work Jay! (as always).

Cheers
Paul

# 418 30-05-2006 , 08:32 AM
It's nice to see all the personal items of clothing coming together as its starting to give some definite character to the lady.
I'm also liking the holster style you've got there Jay, very 'quick draw' user added image

Get yourself a copy of Firefly the series (only something like £15 the last time I looked) to see how some elements of what you are doing have a similar (though not the same) feel. My missus loved the series too and until getting her into that and the new battlestar galactica series she was not too fussed with 'sci-fi'.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 419 03-06-2006 , 02:15 PM
Hi Guys

Sorry for not replying been busy on other work. Finally finished ALL uvs last night on this heres a final 'Occ' render. Onto textures!! Hooray!!

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 420 03-06-2006 , 03:42 PM
Excellent work Jay - Really good to finally see this all come together. Well done mate. Definitely like the holster style and some of the other details that you have going on- like the ammo clips and belt straps. The only one small adjustement that I might make would be to raise the collar just a tad, but obviously that's just a preference thing and I imagine you are quite happy with what you have.

Get on with the texturing!!

user added image