Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 13-04-2013 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
I'm using a 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator and I would never go back to a normal mouse. This is only for the navigation of the models. Beside this I'm working with a Logitech MX Performance as well as with a Wacom Tablet. With the zablet I'm not so fast as with a mouse, even if NextDesign will complain about this :-)

# 17 13-04-2013 , 12:43 AM
Super Moderator
I would really like to try one of those 3D mice and I'm trying not to be a total brat about it.

I'm using a Logitech G13 gamepad (thanks George!) and I've assigned a script to a key that cycles through different marking menus that I've meticulously scripted so I only use one key for any marking menu I'll need which frees up keys for so much more. Unless I have to type out text I pretty much never have to use my keyboard. I love this setup, I just need a comfortable dependable mouse with some thumb buttons to be it's partner in crime :3

- Genny
# 18 13-04-2013 , 02:21 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL too late Gen......fixed the damn thing myself...sigh

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 27-05-2014 , 09:03 AM

Space Navigator and 2 Button?

Hi Everyone,

I was reading this thread and now want a Space Navigator. I recently changed to PC from Mac and am coming from working as an editor to learning Maya. My trusty old Magic Mouse will work on PC however, the middle button add on does not work on PC. So, I am wondering if I need a 3 Button mouse if I have a Space Navigator. Can one of its buttons be configured to act as a middle button so that I can use it not only for navigating my modeling but also when I need to drag objects into groups to arrange hierarchy. I'm trying to decide between getting a Logitech Performance MX or keeping my 2 button and putting the money toward a Space Navigator. I know I should probably just get both, but I'm reaching the end of my budget with my new computer build. Thanks for any input!

# 20 27-05-2014 , 05:03 PM
The Nurb Herd
# 21 27-05-2014 , 05:49 PM
Subscriber
I use a Logitech M570 trackball. I don't think I could go back to using a regular (non-trackball) mouse again. My wife hates it which keeps her from using my computer (haha!). I'd like to get a tablet soon, just don't know which kind yet.

Sampson
# 22 28-05-2014 , 04:14 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 23 02-06-2014 , 09:05 AM
Subscriber
All,

And if you need to map your mouse keys a few times to get more commands on your mouse, give a try at X-Mouse (https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/X...tonControl.htm).

Unfortunately only for Windows users.

That's a wonderful tool and free. A donation can be made and this is every cents worth.

# 24 02-06-2014 , 11:36 AM
1 year later; i would definetely break the space navigator if i had one now. I use Rotating, zooming and pan very fast and too much at one time. 6-7 and more moves to focus on the area that i want. I think that navigator mouse would slow me down.

# 25 03-06-2014 , 12:41 AM
Thanks for your comments. I went ahead and got the Logitech Performance MX and figure I can add on the Space Navigator later if I still want it!

# 26 09-06-2014 , 08:26 AM
Subscriber
@goggles,

believe me: if you want to rotate your object on every axes very fast, your way is going in 3d mouse direction!! I've the left hand on my Space Pilot Pro with all button configured to my pleasure, on the right hand my Logitech MX Performance with X-Mouse configured as I need. With this configuration you workflow increase dramatically. I have a colleague working with a trust graphic tablet instead of the Space Pilot Pro and he is so fast I am with the 3d Connexion mouse.

# 27 09-06-2014 , 07:19 PM
The reason i thought it might slow me, is because of their advertisement videos. The rotation seems slow. And if there is lags i would go crazy with that. I am using a wacom most of the time. and it is already very practical in maya modeling. Moving your hand all the time is making you tired after some time os i switch to mouse when i need to setup mats and render&light setups.

But i have never tried a mouse designed for mdeling before. Its a gadget afterall and might be fun and useful. So you might be right.