Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-02-2005 , 02:12 AM

Maya 6.0 Complete Vs 3D Studio Max 7

Maya 6.0 Complete Vs 3D Studio Max 7...

Now no favourism in this thread just because you own a copy of maya i just wanted to know which people think is better .... id say 3d Studio is more populor and more into games and stuff where as Maya is into movies am i right?.....

still i would like some feedback on the simalarities and diffrences and how you put both in ur view...

if you want to just answer in "maya is better" or "3d studio is better" this thread ant for you i want someone to explain on both...

also i would appreciate if you put light on LightWave 3D and softwares like milkshape

Thanks In AdVaNcE! user added image

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 2 21-02-2005 , 05:40 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
This ol one comes up time and time again. So im gonna put in my pence worth.

It is not the software that maketh the man.

All the software you've mentioned has been used for games or movies at some point down the line, and each has proved their worth. Having been lucky enough to have used all 3 I would say that Lightwave is the odd one out in its work flow methods, and also having a modeller interface and separate scene interface which I found a bit of an annoyance personally. Also I used Max before Lightwave and it was like culture shock when switching because the terminology is different too.

And when I finally arrived at Maya a few years ago it was like starting all over again especially after doing Lightwave for 2 years solid. But if I had a choice of any it would be Maya but Max for similaritys sake. But also I would like to say that Alias should take a leaf out of Discreets book because Max has some seriously cool plugins especially on the cloth side recently, where as the Maya cloth is a bit of a ball ache still after all this time!!

But I still love Maya nonetheless and use it religiously every day!!!
Subds absolutely guarenteed to blow every mother fu.....

_J

# 3 21-02-2005 , 05:58 PM
Subscriber
I have both these days and although i'm currently using max a fair bit more than maya i'd say Maya. The main reason for this is the workflow. Maya's interface lets you work awful lot quicker than max does, because in max you constantly have to go looking through mass's of modifiers and buttons. The second thing a hate about max and this is only one little fault and there might be a way to help this, is the texture detail in the viewports is terrible and this is a big problem when trying to work from detailed image plains.

# 4 22-02-2005 , 11:15 AM
lightwave has quite an old style interface, its animation tools are not as good as maya but some people take to the modelling style of no handles on components when moving or using a tool. Again it depends what you want to do with the software and what style of program you prefer.

Milkshape is for games really, i dont like it very much, i tend to do all my low polly work in somthing like wings3d, its free and has a much better workflow than alot of modellers/ 3d apps on the market.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 22-02-2005 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
Ok i am a Lightwaver... coming into Maya,,, cause of work reasons.

My opions on Lightwave is that its a great piece of software for the price you are paying. value for money. But clearly you can see that its animation toolset needs loads more improvement.

As for Max... i used it to covert models and prepare stuff for a short time for work. I find its really come a long way, and a good competition for a top spot.

As for Maya, I can say this.. great piece of software,,, all is in one place.. No need to look elseware for other stuff.. Really nice animation toolset.

But then again i know its not the toolset,, but the artist. But to enable the artist to work faster means he is more productive and hence he spends less time going around loops.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

# 6 22-02-2005 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
I've dabbled with other software but, other than Bryce, Maya is only one I've stuck with.

- I found 3DS to be too CAD like; a cumbersome interface where much of what you need is hard to find. I do like 3DS ability to create geometry any where in the scene or anchored to another object on the fly.
- Bryce is fun, but since it is basically a displacement mapping program, modeling can be a headache.
- Cinema 4D is pretty easy to pick up, but not really a full featured suite. It is a modular program, which may be good or bad depending on what features you need.
- Poser, once you get past the interface, it's pretty cool but obviously and intentionally limited in its scope.
- Maya I've found to be a very good all around package. Full featured with decent rendering. You have to get used to all primitives being created at world center... that's a bit of a pain, but a minor one.
- Hash Animation Master has come a long way, and for character animation it is great option. Not much for building full scenes thoug.
- Lightwave... Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
- Zbrush... Looks really cool, but I'm still dabbling with it to see if it clicks for for me.

my two cents... worth about .01 cents after you consider inflation.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."

Last edited by mhcannon; 22-02-2005 at 08:04 PM.
# 7 22-02-2005 , 07:56 PM
hey, why dont people list their favourite apps that they use:

my tops have to be:

Mirai/ wings for poly work

Zbrush for fast fun, normal mapping and organic detailing

Animanium for fast character work

Lightwave for workflow (minus the modeling and scene segregation)

Maya is good because it has consistant quality and an interface that i take to nicely and has all the features that i could dream of using for a very long time.

Max is cool though! not my cup of tea but certainly a powerfull tool in the box of oh holy 3d gadgets.

For those into CAD or forced into CAD in my case may want to try out microstation and rhino. Microstation is very versatile app, can open CAD files a decade old with no issues and CAD programs a decade old can open the latest microstation files with no problem.

Mhcannon, do you know anything about XSI in comparison to maya. Ive heard some good things but im not sure what to think of it.

Is Hash animation master a similar type of app to Houdini or motion builder?
what kind of advantages if any do they have over complete apps such as maya max and xsi?

which maya be good or bad

spoken like a true maya addict mhcannon user added image

Lpriest

# 8 22-02-2005 , 08:09 PM
Subscriber
Heheh... Subliminal slip? Typo corrected. :-)

Sorry, no experience with Softimage XSI, but I know it' pretty popular with game development companies in Japan.

I think Animation Master would be closer 3DS's character studio module.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 9 22-02-2005 , 09:33 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Laurie Priest

you work in london dude/dudette where are you situated at?

_J

# 10 23-02-2005 , 08:44 AM
I do some freelance at the moment, 3D is mostly a hobby due to the fact that the freelance work is fantastically dull. Going to Uni in sept tho, been doing 3D since i was 13.

# 11 23-02-2005 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber
XSI is fairly easy to use and has the power of Maya, although it has far too many buttons to be healthy. If you need to do something then you'll find a button to do it and that can take time to learn. However i don't think i'd ever buy it because i don't think it's worth the extra money.

# 12 24-02-2005 , 02:28 PM
thank you all for all those greate views

now i would like to ask which one is the most popular or most used amongts all

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!
# 13 24-02-2005 , 06:00 PM
max by far i guess.

# 14 24-02-2005 , 06:16 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Supra Devil
thank you all for all those greate views

now i would like to ask which one is the most popular or most used amongts all

who cares...
popularity does not indicate quality.
thats a silly question.
just download both free version and you compare them.
and use what suits your needs best, , you cant choose based on whats more popular or what other people think,

# 15 24-02-2005 , 07:03 PM

nobody mentioned hypergraph

i love maya for the sake of hypergraph and hypershade.
i'm not too conversant with Max, but i don't think it has any tool that comes close.
the way you can see all the nodes interworking with each other, it's quite amazing.
in maya the tools are not as user-friendly as Max, but, once you understand how the nodes work with each other, things start to get a lot easier.
i needed to learn textures recently and i didn't quite understand how they worked together, until i started to look more closely in the hypershade work area.

hey, do we have any experts on UVs here? it's very confusing for me...