Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 29-03-2007 , 04:09 PM
yeh man . i will have a play with the material settings. i guess that at teh moment i am just rushing and wanting to get as much in a portfolio as possible (stuff that is half decent).

the reason i want to eventually take the HDR off is that i want to learn properly, i.e. how to light my scenes. etc. tho i do admit it does produce a better lighting effect than i could produce at this stage.

and yes maya PLE all over my renders does not help but i cant afford the 2 grand for the full software! thats a point how does everyone else cope with paying that for the software?

i was even wondering if it would be possible to ask someone here to go a large mental ray render of my turntable scene when finished (mixer and 2nd table) as PLE max render is 512x512 which doesnt show much detail. not sure if thats a cheeky question or just plain illegal lol any ideas?

robin

# 32 29-03-2007 , 05:23 PM
No it's not legal, and not possible without hacking Maya, since the commercial Maya versions doesn't read the PLE-file format.

# 33 29-03-2007 , 06:36 PM
cheers mate. kool well that clears that up. note to self...start saving the pennies...haha

# 34 30-03-2007 , 12:45 AM
You can get a student licence for about £350, you cant use it for commercial use but its a full functioning version of unlimited

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 35 01-04-2007 , 07:36 AM
awesome! cheers gster i shall look into that.

ok back to the project. my idea is to model my mixer now then stick it on a table with 2 of the tables. now I have created the table and have started on the mixer. however when i try to duplicate the turntable for some reason it mirrors it? so that everything is on the opposite side. secondly its almost as if my comp cant cope with the full turntable model as when i try to move the whole thing it is very slow and jerky. i have a bran new mac book pro so didnt think that this would be a problem!

any ideas?

will be back later in the week with some pics of the mixer.
cheers guys

robin

# 36 01-04-2007 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
rcb whats your polycount like? If you can't see in your heads up display then you'll have to go to your display menu and turn it on. Stupidly high polycounts will start to upset your pc, but it's perhaps something else.

As for the the duplicate, is sounds like you're doing either Duplicate Special and you have some old settings in the options (always reset a tool before use) or you've got some funky history on the object which needs deleting. Either way you should just be using a straight duplicate (ctrl+d) and moving it into place.

I reckon you ought to go back and do the circle bits again, regardless of whether you'll see it in final renders, you'll know its there and that shouldnt be acceptable user added image It should be fairly simple to work out, make the shapes, combine them, put them in place, delete history and freeze transforms. Set your pivot point. Select the stuff and goto duplicate special options. Divide the amount of segments into 360. So in Y (2nd box of rotation) 360 degrees divided by 180 is "2" for example. Enter that into Y box. Then in copies, amount of segments -1 = 179.

Do it! :bandit:

# 37 01-04-2007 , 08:12 AM
ok il go back and re do the platter bumps. i managed to fix the duplicate bit by doing duplicate with transforms. as for polly count all i can get up is ifo on edges verts and tries etc? i wouldnt have thought it would be that many polys but i cant be sure as Im still very new to this ha.

just hope that it wont be too difficult to build the full scene as id be annoyed if i had to leave it at just the one turntable!

# 38 01-04-2007 , 08:58 AM
Subscriber
Well 'tris' will indicate your polycount, if thats in the millions, then yeah you might have problems. Remember that when you make stuff it makes a lot of history as you go, make sure you delete it where possible (edit > delete all > by type history) or eventually it will start slowing maya up , and make it more prone to crashes.

# 39 01-04-2007 , 06:25 PM
hmmmm ok well the majority of the model does not seem too large however the platter (revolved curve) and the bumps appears to be 1,624,960 tries!?! wow

# 40 01-04-2007 , 06:52 PM
My Pc can go above that with no probs, its a Dell XPS M1710, so its similar spec to the Mac book pro, so its seems a bit strange that your getting a lot of slowdown.

If your getting slowdown then I would suggest that you add the turntable to a sepperate layer and turn the layer off so that its not in the way.

Also if youve smoothed all the parts on the turntable this would increase the poly count by a lot. I only smooth to see how its going to look then return to the lower poly model untill its render time!

# 41 01-04-2007 , 07:01 PM
ah ok. well there is very little slow down when the bumps are not visible as it seems that it is only them that is causing the problem. They alone are 1599360 tries. for some reason. even when i have 2 duplicated turntables (without the bumps visible) there very little slowdown.

out of interest how do i reverse a smooth? other than just simply undo?

cheers

Last edited by rcb25; 01-04-2007 at 07:14 PM.
# 42 01-04-2007 , 07:38 PM
Just had a thought, have you deleted your history on the bumps?

That causes slowdown, as its carrying all the history with it.

To reverse a smooth you can go into the attribute editor then look for the poly smooth tab in the subdivision levels change this back to 1.

Oh a bit of a warning, if you delete the history BEFORE changing the poly smooth you wont be able to get to it as it's part of the history and you will be stuck with the high poly object. Also undoing the poly smooth this way can cause problems if youve changed anything (like moved verts laid out your UV's etc) AFTER youve made the poly smooth, if this is the case you might be ea bit stuck.

Its worth making a low poly save file.

If find its easier just to smooth, render to have a butchers then undo, that way your not adding to the history of the object all the time.

Or, of course make a smooth proxy then just delete this and its associated nodes when your happy.

hope it helps

# 43 01-04-2007 , 07:53 PM
yeh im sure i have deleted the history of the bumbs simply by selecting then and going edit-> delete by type history. cheers for the point on saving a low poly model first. i think that will come in hand im my next projects. i think i am unable to reverse the polly smooth now.

i just dont understand why the bumps are so large if i have deleted the history etc i mean thery are just a series of cylinders.

# 44 01-04-2007 , 08:00 PM
If they have got lots of divisions on them then thats probably why.

A simple 20 Division cylinder has 60 faces alone, if you add a bevel with 2 divisions then thats going to go up to 100, if you then smooth this is goes up to 200, and all the duplications that youve got would really crank it up.

Dose seem a hell of a lot though, I'm working on a character at the moment ans with everything smoothed, clothes etc, its only at 36000, faces/73000 Tris.

# 45 01-04-2007 , 08:06 PM
hmmm well the cylinders are not smoothed or beveled just the default shape.

also now we have some really weird stuff going on! it just renders a blue screen when the bumps are in place but it renders the image when they are not visible!?! (using mental ray). This project was going so well too haha then a we hit a wall. I am now very confused..