Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-05-2003 , 01:18 AM

Mental Ray

Really, what is it? I know it has something to do with rendering but cant figure it all out........user added image

# 2 29-05-2003 , 02:36 AM
Mental Ray is a very good renderer that has been used to render the CG in many movies (eg Panic Room, Fight Club etc). It has lots of great features for making your renders look extremely realistic.

It's been around for quite a long time as it's own product (and still is), but XSI and now Maya 5 have it integrated into them as a standard renderer.

# 3 29-05-2003 , 03:36 AM
Subscriber
user added image, well said Jozvex user added image. But yea, also theres GI_Joe which i love for the work in progress shots. Its another awesome one.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 4 29-05-2003 , 03:49 AM
Excellent tutorial by the way Jozvex, had a chance to check it out today.

# 5 29-05-2003 , 09:17 PM
Maybe we should clear out that GI_Joe is not a renderer.. GI_Joe is a MEL script that create a dome of lights to simulate Global Illumination and rendering is done with Maya's standard renderer.

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 6 30-05-2003 , 01:35 AM
GI_Joe can be great for untextured projects. However, large falt surfaces, become blotchy, and objects that are to close to one another, or that intersect each other, are extremly poorly shaded by the GI that GI_Joe makes.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!