Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 22-10-2004 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber

F1 Racecar beginning

this is the beginning of my model
the model will eventually end up being a Formula one racecar of somekind, either mercedes team or team ferrari.

my goal is to get the f1 car as realistic as possible
these test renders are just that, test renders, and the colors are not the colors that will be used in the final model.

there was another member on this forum that did really well at making an f1 car, hopefully i can track him down and get some tips..

as for these first pics these are just the rim and tire.
i dont have the spokes the way i want yet but they are close, and the middle lug cap isn't modelled at all, its just a cylinder.

the tire could use some work as far as texturing and lettering on the sidewalls.

reference image

no worky anymore

body version 1

user added image

wheel test

user added image

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 06-11-2004 at 05:27 AM.
# 2 22-10-2004 , 01:26 AM
Subscriber
i lightened up the tire texture a bit so you can see the tread (which was very difficult to figure out how to make)

and i rounded the tire a bit to make it look a bit more "inflated"

user added image

the tire texture right now is just a preset shader from highend3d but if anyone has a really realistic tire texture help me out, also, if anyone comes across a nice logo for potenza and bridgestone that i can use as sidewall lettering like in the first picture let me know as well

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 22-10-2004 at 01:30 AM.
# 3 22-10-2004 , 06:08 AM
Subscriber
ok nice start...should go for another texture on the tire at the end but for now it's fine... also Im wondering if you use good reference to build the car because that's my peace of advice I would gave you user added image keep it going!

# 4 22-10-2004 , 12:37 PM
hi dan,

i'm meritan. just a concil:
to build a car or another object the first thing you need is a blueprint. if this is possible 4 view: top, side, front, back. i've buld my f1 car with top and side view.

it is imposible to buil a car starting by a non ortografic picture(prespective view).

if you want, i can send you blueprints of ferrari F2001.

# 5 22-10-2004 , 09:27 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by meritan2
hi dan,

i'm meritan. just a concil:
to build a car or another object the first thing you need is a blueprint. if this is possible 4 view: top, side, front, back. i've buld my f1 car with top and side view.

it is imposible to buil a car starting by a non ortografic picture(prespective view).

if you want, i can send you blueprints of ferrari F2001.

the wheel pictured is one i just kinda rigged together, i may end up re making it to make it more "to scale" now that i know how to make it correctly and efficiently
but the reason i was a bit wild on the creation and a bit more free hand is because the rims can vary with f1 cars and if the tire is a bit biggar or smallar than normal it will still look real.

but i do have blueprints of a ferrari f1 car, if you have any different ones or higher res ones, please post them up, anything you can give me will help out.

ive modelled cars before using lightwave, so i know how to set up image planes and modelling from them.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 23-10-2004 , 11:43 AM
hi,
this blueprint is ferrari F2000, not 2001. but this is not important. i have it allso. for me is a good blueprint and from this image like reference you can build a very good ferrari f1 car.

if you want to build a concept F1 car, you are right, but this is not ferrari, mclaren, williams, etc.

allso i have download so mach other pics to better understand the shape of the car or the shape of a particular detail.

i do not have a better blueprint (hi res) than this to post you, so keep it up the good work.

i am impacient to see the first good "fruits" of your work.

friendly, meritan

# 7 25-10-2004 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
meritan, can you share what method you used to model your ferrari f2001? you did an amazing job modelling your ferrari!

any tips you can give on modelling.... the two main things im thinking that might be hard to do would be extruding the geometry from the body, and the other thing im trying to figure out would be how to get the nice even lines that seperate the nose from the rest of the body and the side panels.
did you make seperate objects for thoes?

# 8 25-10-2004 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber
you can do it nurbsway or polyway....I would prefer polyway....You will actually build a car poly for poly but it's easy when you have good reference... also it's smart to work in pieces. It doesn't really matter if the car relays on different kind of geometry. You can allways group them together user added image

hope that this piece op advice helps user added image

# 9 25-10-2004 , 09:29 PM
hi dan,

i used poly, extruding faces and edges. the body, from nose in back is only a primitive poly cube.

for me, a great help was the video tut of jaguar (see www.3d-palace.com in maya tuts). the tecnik is the same.

is a good way to atach (or group) a number of pices, but, for me, is more dificult.

this is the body, only a cube elaborated....!

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 27-10-2004 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
here is a very first stab at the body.
i watched the jaguar tutorial for only a few minutes, and i will continue to watch as it is a great teaching tool.

i decided to get fermiliar with the box modelling and try to get a rough shape of the body.

ive been exhausted lately with other work so i havent had time to really sit down and put time into it.
this entire car must be fully modelled in the next 2 weeks so look for some updates very soon.

user added image

# 11 27-10-2004 , 06:49 PM
hi dan,
very well. nice start. keep it up. I'm so impatient now for the updates.

# 12 06-11-2004 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
i put in another couple hours tonite on it.
i had to go back a few steps and lost about 3 hours of work because i got backed into a hypathetical corner working with polygons i still dont know all the rules and i did some things that i didn't realize were gonna cause problems later on.

anyway, here is my version #2

user added image

how do you add creases to distinguish the different body panels, ie: nose cone, engine cover...

Last edited by Turbo Dan; 06-11-2004 at 07:18 AM.
# 13 06-11-2004 , 07:25 AM
Subscriber
here is a slight update again, the body contour aside the cockpit i havent started tweaking yet, and the headrest is bumpy beacause the verticies arn't joined....

user added image

still trying to find out how to define the body panels.

# 14 08-11-2004 , 02:23 AM
Subscriber
here is a recent update, starting to model the wings, did a bit more on the body, still have a lot more work to do

user added image

# 15 09-11-2004 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
another slight update

user added image