Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 18-10-2006 , 04:11 PM

How did he do that? - UV Projection

I've just been watching the "GI Texturing" DVD by Jason Edwards, and I'm completely flumoxed!
In the 2nd video, (Part 2) Mr Edwards applies a cyclindrical uv map to his character's head.

My confusion beggins here:-
At the moment he applies the mapping, the faces mapped turn white, as if textured white. He then mumbles "there" and instantly without moving the mouse cursor it changes to a checker texture!?
I can only assume this is some kind of shortcut command?

It's not a big issue I would just like to know how things are done, and this is one thing I simply can't work out myself!
(Maya help isn't much help with the subject)

Please, if anyone knows, has purchased the tutorial, or even made the tutorial, illuminate my path!

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by Beillzibub; 18-10-2006 at 04:54 PM.
# 2 18-10-2006 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber
im sure Jay will answer you. hes on the boards often.

# 3 18-10-2006 , 09:12 PM
Thanks Vlad,

Is there a way I can bring this thread to his attention? Or should I just wait it out?

Cheers again.

# 4 18-10-2006 , 10:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Beillzibub

Sorry for the delay. I probably hit 6 on the keyboard, this shows the projection map chequer pattern before applying a texture. Its relevant for any texture projection in Maya.

Hope this helps
Jay

# 5 18-10-2006 , 10:56 PM
Thanks so much Jay,

You've deffinitly put me on the right track. I get the faces all turning white now when I hit the 6 key.

Now I just need to work out getting the chequer texture up... it could be something in the UV settings maybe. It could just be that MAYA 8 is playing silly b*ggers!

But thanks again for your help!
PS: The DVD is awesome. (",)

# 6 18-10-2006 , 11:37 PM
Got it!

The checker texture wasn't coming up until I re-did the projection but switched off the "create new uv set" option under the cylindrical mapping options.

Many thanks to everyone!

# 7 19-10-2006 , 12:26 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Maya should automatically put that chequer on there as a matter of course when you do any projection, providing 6 has been hit on the keyboard (texture view) then you should always get it.

As for Maya 8, Im not sure how this is, as I'm using version 6.

Good to know you are on the right track though, it can get frustrating. Any more probs you can alwys PM me, I usually try and reply asap.

Cheers
Jay