Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-04-2006 , 08:30 PM

Character workflow?

Hello,

This is my first solo attempt at modeling some sort of character that I later hope to animate (To some extent). He is a stolen design, I take no creative credit here! His name is Gloomy Bear (if you havent seen him before) and he has a habbit of killing his owner in rather horrible ways!

Anyway, I have modelled him out of Nurbs and am not sure where to go now! Is it usual to convert to polys to clean up geometry? Or sub-d's? Or can he remain a Nurbs bear?

I am hoping to rig him for a certain amount of animation after modelling is complete. Any assistance you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ben

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-04-2006 , 08:45 PM
You can keep your model as NURBS to animate, if you wish. It's all really just a matter of preference.
If you look ahead towards how you want to tackle texturing, that may influence your decision on geometry preference.

# 3 25-04-2006 , 02:58 AM
I am wondering the same thing too myself...for creating characters in "NURBS" like in the picture above, is it possible to stitch the arms, legs, and head to the body without converting into the poly or subD and still animate it?

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs
# 4 25-04-2006 , 04:07 AM
Well I once heard from a rigger that you don't really need to stitch NURBS patches, as long as they maintain tangency. But he's some sort of rigging guru, so... (shrug).

I never stitch my models, just attach/detach and make sure they have tangency between them.
I have bound a couple of models so that I could pose them for portfolio pieces. The seam splits were not as bad as one would think, and probably with careful rigging you might be able to get away without stitching at all.
But then again, I am not a rigger, or an animator, so perhaps my opinion doesn't amount to a hill o' beans.