SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Pro Referencing animation workflow?

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

22-12-2016, 11:36 AM   #1
robertireland

Pro Referencing animation workflow?
I'd be grateful for any help on where I might be going wrong with my workflow in Maya (presently 2016 sp3). I'm referencing a character onto a skeleton and have problems with edits. Workflow is:

* Build character with blend shapes and save in Reference folder.
* Open new scene and Reference in the character..
* Create a skeleton, bind to mesh and paint weights.
* Save the new scene which references in the character, incrementally as animation progresses.

Everything works fine until I make changes on the original referenced character model - e.g. deleting a couple of polygons results in the mesh blowing apart on the rig. It looks like all the weight maps are messed up.

This setup saves on disc space but I assumed another advantage would be I could tweak the REF model and it would update in the new scene without having to bind and redo weights.

Any help greatly appreciated.