Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-02-2007 , 06:05 PM

age old problem of weightpainting...

hi there
this is frustrating me now as i'd like to get on with animating, but my character keeps deforming.
i have played around with the weightpainting for the most part, but there are still bits of the body that are affected by other random parts!
can anyone tell me why this is?!
i have attached a picture but i'm not sure if it's going to help much.
example is me trying to paint the foot but somehow getting influence on the body as well.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-02-2007 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber
Hello Saskia,

Try turning on the Multi-colour feedback (under the display tab in the Weight painting tool settings) and going through each joint in turn, more often than not it shows influences that aren't made visible in the black and white mode.

From what I can see of your character though (which isn't much), I would say that you would almost certainly be better off rigid binding the foot geometry to the rig.

Any chance you could post a picture of the full character, it would make diagnoses much easier.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 3 04-02-2007 , 08:29 PM
Senior Software Developer
Hey,

I had a similar problem with a quadraped rig. Basically yor paint weights for some joints are not 100%. So as Mat suggested go througheash joint and ensure that the weights are 100%.

Nice tip on the Multi colour, never tried that.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 4 04-02-2007 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, or check your component editor, as there may be verts with 'play' that you can delete their nominal value (reset it to 0 ).

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 5 12-02-2007 , 12:00 AM
hey guys
thanks for ur replies.
iv had a mess around with the coloured weight painter and it seems to have sorted it user added image