Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 06-01-2009 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber

gold logo on transparent glass

I am trying to place this polo logo, a tiff on this green transparent bottle.
I can place the logo on a shader using stencil but I can't figure out how to make the logo a shiny gold and connect or place it onto a transparent shader(the bottle).
Is it using a layered shader somehow with stencil? Is it connect the nodes?
I am stuck on this. can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Jim

Attached Images
# 2 06-01-2009 , 11:28 PM
Subscriber
Is my question not clear?

# 3 06-01-2009 , 11:41 PM
The Nurb Herd
try using a layered shader with a projection node on your label.

# 4 07-01-2009 , 12:13 AM
Subscriber
Thank you very much. I am very much the newbie and I will research this procedure you suggested.

Thanks again.

# 5 07-01-2009 , 03:07 AM
Subscriber
Hammer_
I saw your Horror/glass_close.jpg on your website.
That is exactly what I need to do. How did you do it?

Thanks Jim

# 6 07-01-2009 , 04:47 AM
The Nurb Herd
thats just a blinn with a projection on it, not a layered shader... i kind need to redo that, but having problems with a load of missing files... anyway...

You could try making a glass shader with a blinn or whatever. then plug that into your layered shader. Then with your horse file (make sure it has an alpha) project it onto the glass and position it where you want it. duplicate the projection node and link up the 3d placement node to the new projection node. you should link the file to the transparency of one and the colour of the other. so you have the one file texture using both projection nodes.

I did this to show you what i mean, i got to use my new wacom! if only for a second. user added image

user added image

this probably doesn't make any sense so i'm going ot go to bed and let someone else explain.

# 7 07-01-2009 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber
Hammer
I sincerely thank you for your post. With the visual you have provided I am sure I will be able to figure this out.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and I will make
sure I post the results for you to see.

Jim

# 8 07-01-2009 , 05:55 PM
The Nurb Herd
no problem. I hope this helps!

# 9 30-03-2009 , 07:31 PM
Hi guys. This is exactly what I am trying to do, but I must be dumber than a post, because I can't figure out how to use the hypershade to create this network. I've got an alpha channel logo that I can map onto the object, but I can't figure out how to work the connections to make a layered shader like this. Any help would be great. Thanks.

# 10 30-03-2009 , 08:40 PM
The Nurb Herd
the node 2nd from the right is the layered shader. you will find that in the list of materials in the Hypershade, then you just plug in which ever two -or more- shaders you want.

# 11 30-03-2009 , 08:55 PM
what is the one on the end (right) for then?

# 12 31-03-2009 , 06:50 PM
Hi Hammer,
I would appreciate it if you could fill in a few details for a newb...
In the pic you posted of your hypershade graph, what are the three connections from each of the shaders plugging into the first layered shader?

Next, what is the purpose of the last layered shader?

I still can't get this to work. I've got the logo looking right, but the rest of the object is 50% transparent for some reason.

Thanks
[IMG]user added image[/IMG]

Last edited by Dr.Polygon; 31-03-2009 at 08:09 PM.
# 13 31-03-2009 , 08:14 PM
update. I've got the background shader showing up now, the logo looks good. My only remaining issue is the area around the logo--which is about 50 percent transparent. I've replaced the logo with other images, but they all act the same way. I can't figure out why the alpha doesn't extend at 100 percent around the rest of the object. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

# 14 31-03-2009 , 10:25 PM

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 15 03-04-2009 , 01:58 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Polygon
update. I've got the background shader showing up now, the logo looks good. My only remaining issue is the area around the logo--which is about 50 percent transparent. I've replaced the logo with other images, but they all act the same way. I can't figure out why the alpha doesn't extend at 100 percent around the rest of the object. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Try to do add a specular map, where there is no logo should be black i guess.