Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-12-2009 , 09:28 PM
Subscriber

Medical 3D Rendering?

Hello!

So, one thing I've always liked and I'm thinking on moving towards to is 3D medical renderings and animations.
I just have NO idea where to start on this. I can't seem to find any info on this, as of what's a better approach for projects like these. Paint effects? Please any thought, comment, or link would be much appreciate it.

thanks for your time!

# 2 11-12-2009 , 09:29 PM
Technical Director
What type of medical animations?

Bones and such?

It's a very broad question you've asked.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 11-12-2009 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber

# 4 11-12-2009 , 10:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
Glad you asked user added image
If you're interested in the same thing I am, which it sounds like you are, check out this site:
molecularmovies.com (some tutorials and lots of videos there)
which will lead you to molecular maya, a plugin I'm trying out at the moment and some good names to look for: Gael McGill, Drew Berry, Eric Keller, Janet Iwasa...

Also, companies that do with this stuff (in no particular order): Xvivio, Hybrid Medical, Random42, Digizyme, Cosmocyte, Argosy, Nucleus Medical (got these by google and other means).
Institutions: Wehi, Howard Hughes, Harvard

A book I'm reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Silico-Animati...0570882&sr=8-1

What's your background? Though I'm trying to learn all aspects of maya, the areas I suspect will be most useful are dynamics, nparticles, and MEL/Python scripting.

Hope that gives you plenty to start on. Now you have most of my resources and inspiration user added image

# 5 11-12-2009 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
Glad you asked user added image
If you're interested in the same thing I am, which it sounds like you are, check out this site:
molecularmovies.com (some tutorials and lots of videos there)
which will lead you to molecular maya, a plugin I'm trying out at the moment and some good names to look for: Gael McGill, Drew Berry, Eric Keller, Janet Iwasa...

Also, companies that do with this stuff (in no particular order): Xvivio, Hybrid Medical, Random42, Digizyme, Cosmocyte, Argosy, Nucleus Medical (got these by google and other means).
Institutions: Wehi, Howard Hughes, Harvard

A book I'm reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Silico-Animati...0570882&sr=8-1

What's your background? Though I'm trying to learn all aspects of maya, the areas I suspect will be most useful are dynamics, nparticles, and MEL/Python scripting.

Hope that gives you plenty to start on. Now you have most of my resources and inspiration user added image

Stwert!
Thank you so much! I will def. look on all this info. My background... well I have specialized in the last years a s a high-end photoretoucher for several industries... pharmaceutical, etc. But mainly within the fashion industry in NY. I have a very solid background with PS, but also attended school for 3D (Maya). So I'm trying to shift things for me now towards this... which I have always being very passionate about... I like the medical field a lot.
So I will be taking a look and ur resources and share anything else that I find.
Thanks again Stwert!

# 6 12-12-2009 , 12:15 AM
EduSciVis-er
No problem.
I would say that a strong foundation in biology is important, if not essential, in the development of medical/scientific animation. Good luck with your investigations, and let me know how it goes.