Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 13-08-2007 , 01:39 PM
Subscriber

So, who's still around from the old heads...

Hi there,

haven't been around for some time...just dropped in to see who's still hangin' round SimplyMaya.

I can see Michael is still here, as well as Kurt - which is great!

As for me, with some minor exceptions, I almost completely stopped doing cg stuff.

Gone back to my roots, which is making music...

And even though I'm not doing any Maya work anymore, it's still good to see that SM is still alive and kicking!

Mario

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 2 25-08-2007 , 05:11 AM
Subscriber
I guess you weren't really expecting an answer.., see you at the digi or cubase forum I guess??

take it easy and life will be easy
# 3 25-08-2007 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber
No, I wasn't really expecting any answers, so this one here comes in as a big surprise...

I just kinda stumbled over an old SM message which I still had in my Outlook mailbox a few days ago and deceided to take a looksee at what's going on here.

Just for the auld lang syne, so to speak. user added image

Subdivide and conquer!

# 4 25-08-2007 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber
are you doing music on computer?

# 5 25-08-2007 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
No, not really.

I'm playing (acoustic) guitar, plus a number of other stringed instruments.

When it comes to music, I'm using the computer only for some rather low-profile editing of my home recordings (call it demo stuff). But even that's a bit of a problem at the moment, as my mic just went out the window...

But I take it that you're doing sound stuff on the computer?

Subdivide and conquer!

# 6 26-08-2007 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
yes but not my preferable course of action.., i have to.., thats the way the wind is blowing.., time is money and destructive recording is out of date because of the money, time and the ability to mix and match takes.., jigsaw style.., do three guitar solos and pick the best pieces and put them together.

also at uni i have to use ProTools and FCP to do the post sound for the student movies.

i would be as happy.., happier to sit under a tree with my acoustic guitar.., preferably by the waves to give some rhythm and orchestration to my playing.

Ive been sitting here all morning..,, into the afternoon doing a song for a musical, 5 house later (a 2 min song) and Im barely past first base as i its not recorded with the correct instruments yet (MIDI).., i dont know why people say computers save time.., i really dont think its any faster than when we used TEACs.

# 7 26-08-2007 , 06:12 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mirek03
i dont know why people say computers save time.., i really dont think its any faster than when we used TEACs.

Ah, yes...that name...I remember...long time ago...four tracks and a cheap mike to boot...not exactly TEAC, rather a Fostex or Yamaha...but still...*sigh*

i would be as happy.., happier to sit under a tree with my acoustic guitar.., preferably by the waves to give some rhythm and orchestration to my playing.

Now, that sounds like a pretty nifty idea, yet I'm afraid that there is not much in the way of waves here in Berlin. But Australia should give you a couple of opportunities.

Subdivide and conquer!

# 8 26-08-2007 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
i hear that, I spent a winter (a week or two) in hamburg once.., there was too much fog to see the water.., but I did see a big black shape move past nearby.., then it honked.., it was a huge boat. .??

user added image

yes Australia does not lack beaches.., five minutes from here and then.., just keep on going and going and going...

in Bali, the only people who drowned seemed to be the Japanese and the Germans.., so we all figured there must be no water in those parts.., very strange for us user added image

oh yea, yamahas were good too, and the tascam was great when it came out. user added image Our pride was the TEAC, but we didnt make better music on it?? sounded the same as the cheaper ones to our untrained ears.

# 9 26-08-2007 , 07:29 AM
Subscriber

in Bali, the only people who drowned seemed to be the Japanese and the Germans.., so we all figured there must be no water in those parts.., very strange for us user added image

Well, if you've been to Hamburg, you should know that actually they DO have a lot of water there, yet all the Hamburgers (being very clever and observant people) try to avoid dipping as much as their little toes into the Alster. Good idea if you care about your health!

And that big black moving shape you mentioned...if it honked, it might indeed have been a boat, even though it's reported that some Nessies have been observed trying to mimic river ferries... user added image

Funny enough, Tascam was the one name I was looking for but just couldn't remember for the life of me. A Tascam was actually the first four track I ever got my hands on, mid to late 80s...

A couple of weeks ago, we were listening to some old Tascam-recorded stuff fom that time. To be honest, I can't say anything about the sound quality (old tapes!), 'cause we were laughing so hard from listening to the actual STUFF that was on the tape. Why would somebody record something like that in the first place? Why did we? user added image

Subdivide and conquer!

Last edited by Renderizer; 26-08-2007 at 07:32 AM.
# 10 26-08-2007 , 02:32 PM
SM Tea Boy
Nice off you to drop back in user added image good luck with the music

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 11 27-08-2007 , 01:20 PM
Subscriber
Hi David, thank you!

Great to see that you're still on board!

Mario

Subdivide and conquer!