Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 02-08-2011 , 10:17 AM

Desk Concept

I shaped the top of the desk like a paint palette which I thought was nice since it has that organic look to it.

I also had this idea for a paint palette desk when I was thinking of ideas. Good luck Perfecto, Ill be keeping an eye on this user added image

# 17 02-08-2011 , 03:00 PM

I think the difficult part for you Perfecto will be to bring all your parts together with your colour feam..........dave

I totally agree with you daverave. I've been doing alot of thinking in my head about what color to make things. Once I figure out all the major pieces of furniture I want in my office, I'll sketch out the final room. I'll scan it in and start messing around with colors in gimp. Once I figure out the colors, I'll grab my camera and go all over town looking for textures.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 18 02-08-2011 , 03:07 PM

I also had this idea for a paint palette desk when I was thinking of ideas. Good luck Perfecto, Ill be keeping an eye on this user added image

And I thought I was being original lol. I totally don't mind if you stick with your idea. I'm sure there will still be differences. I originally thought about using a paint brush for the legs, or at least for one side of the desk but after sketching it out, I was afraid it would look too much like a kid's desk. You can use the idea though if it will fit your vision. I'm guessing that you already probably thought of that though since they do go hand in hand. Anyway here's my sketch of a paintbrush leg just in case you're interested.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 19 02-08-2011 , 03:21 PM
As an artist, there are times when you have to ponder and work out inspirations in your head so I want a couch in my office so that I can relax and let my imagination run wild. It's also a place where I can just relax and hang out with my friends while on breaks and such or a place where I can pitch/share my artwork or ideas. My concept is to have something that doesn't have any exposed wood. I want it to be all fabric and cushion to portray comfort. I wanted to keep it simple but yet have a little character to it and be somewhat modern. I thought about making a cushioned coffee table but decided against it since it would take away from it's functionality. I wanted to keep it simple to fit with the simplicity of the couch.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 20 02-08-2011 , 07:19 PM
Took me awhile to design a bookshelf I like. I didn't quite get the perspective right so it looks kinda like its curving backward. However, it's flat on the back and it only curves to the side. The left side curves more than the right side but the top corners are not outside the bottom corners in order for it to be stable and functional. It has a cartoony feel to it which is not what I was going for but I think once it's incorporated into the room and textured and filled with books and such, it will not look cartoony.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 21 02-08-2011 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
this weird looking stuff is what i'd expect from an artist user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 22 02-08-2011 , 10:53 PM
Nice to see the concept sketches, and a good looking design theme developing. It flows very well. Your pallet shaped desk made me think of waste paper baskets being designed as paint buckets, but -your design has a much more polished professional look, very appealing user added image .

# 23 03-08-2011 , 07:12 AM
Really nice to see how many sketches you have created before you will actually start with modeling...

I am keen to see further progress.. user added image

# 24 03-08-2011 , 08:41 AM

And I thought I was being original lol. I totally don't mind if you stick with your idea. I'm sure there will still be differences. I originally thought about using a paint brush for the legs, or at least for one side of the desk but after sketching it out, I was afraid it would look too much like a kid's desk. You can use the idea though if it will fit your vision. I'm guessing that you already probably thought of that though since they do go hand in hand. Anyway here's my sketch of a paintbrush leg just in case you're interested.

I didnt think of the brush idea but i like it user added image Im not planning on modelling that anyway, like i say, it was just an idea that I thought of and passed it by, I'm going with something else now. Looking forward to seeing you model this though. Its good that your getting your ideas down on paper. I tend to work like that before I even touch the computer if I have the time. It helps alot.

# 25 03-08-2011 , 04:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I greatly appreciate the feedback an encouragement.

Been working on my furniture layout. I'm liking this layout alot. It doesn't look too cluttered or choatic. If you notice, I took the artwork off the back wall and made a picture with it instead. I'm considering having painted walls except for the back wall which will be rock. I think it will add quite a bit of character because it would be a textured look. And with the design picture hanging on it, I think it will have a really nice appearance yet keep it the focal point.

I'm also considering moving the guitar to the left wall in between the plant and the bookshelf. Then putting a floor lamp in the far right corner and a nice looking file cabinet under the window. One that is wide and not tall.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 26 03-08-2011 , 08:07 PM
Working with the layout and room some more

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 27 04-08-2011 , 04:13 AM
Cool Concept Perfecto.............

# 28 04-08-2011 , 07:58 AM
I Like it user added image I always like to see how artists make a 3D scene from a 2D concept.

# 29 04-08-2011 , 03:41 PM
Thanks for the comments speedy and nuke. I definitely prefer to work on paper before I work in Maya. It's soooooooo much faster to make changes on paper.

I typically start off writing all my thoughts down on paper in words. It's the easiest and quickest way to work on my concept. Once I'm happy with my idea, I start sketching out the different items that I wrote down so I can see it visually. Sketching is fast so if I don't like anything, I can just erase and sketch again. Once I'm happy with my sketches visually, then I start modeling in Maya. Once I'm ready to jump into Maya, I already know "exactly" what I'm going to do and "how" i'm going to do it and "what" it's going to look like. It takes more time up front but I think it really pays off in the end. Overall, I spend alot less time on my projects this way.

Exceed Expectations!
# 30 04-08-2011 , 09:56 PM
Working on Colors is horrible. I need to study color theory or something. This is going to take me days to figure something out that feels right. Here's my last test for today and figured I should at least post something.

If anyone has any advice on colors, I'm all ears.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!