Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 22-06-2011 , 07:23 AM
Lifetime Member

Bullets attempt at an apple shader...part 1

Hi guys,

well having modelling so many DTM's at work lately my interest in Maya has certainly lapsed. Not even my SPECIAL (to me) side model could get me excited enough to add to the skills. That and Kailani due in 4 weeks...Im one tired old man at the moment...sigh...oh for the Lotto life.

Anyhoo I have downloaded a PDF tutorial on procedural shading...very simple but it got me interested AND all this 'node' this etc is starting to click!! drop and drag is becoming more clear by the moment LOL.

Here are 2 images...number 1 is my first try at it...yes very bad...number 2 isnt MUCH better but I think Im getting there. Unless its me there seems to be a lack of spec highlighting??? tried a few things and it just made a mess, so I went back to scratch and got what I got...better but still a lot of learning to do.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 22-06-2011 , 07:48 AM
The thin red line
Looking good Bullet not saying I want to eat it yet but getting there, needs some bump on the stem and the model pulled about a bit to get some spec on the back top bit.........dave

# 3 22-06-2011 , 07:58 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL thanks dave, yeh the model has been pulled about...its deformed for sure...thats why I was confused the spec didnt show...havent worked on the stem but that will come later. This was just a test of my curiosity more than anything.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 23-06-2011 , 05:43 AM
Have to say it does look good Bullet, keep us updated on your progress.

# 5 23-06-2011 , 07:04 AM
Looking good Ant, keep it going.

I quite like creating procedural stuff, I can spend hours playing about with different nodes and such.

I created some grapes when tweety was ill using proceduarl textures. If you want I could send you the file (if I can find it!!)

Attached Thumbnails

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 23-06-2011 , 07:20 AM
Subscriber
Yeah nice going with the 2nd render. My only crit would adding a bump-map on the stem as well like Dave mentioned and maybe possibly change the plate? to silver like the original as the gold slightly detracts your attention away from the apple.

# 7 23-06-2011 , 08:16 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey Vortexx thanks mate!! havent seen you for a while how are you??!!

Sweet steve thanks man....if you could find it would be fantastic!!! LOL yeh I saw your grapes...it actually kind of was the reason why I tried this! I loved your grapes mate...classic too...thanks man

hey Marlon...thanks bro, yeh I started to put a bump on the stem and Maya kept dishing out errors. My laptop has been doing some wierd shit since I updated and upgraded N360! never had this trouble before.

Thanks again guys...my e-mail hasnt been forwarding SM messages...so I wasnt being rude...damn computer. I will play some more with it, the lighting has been the most painful LOL...and yeh MJ I think the silvery colour was better myself...post again tonight.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 8 23-06-2011 , 08:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Oh and steve, Im so tired from modelling these DTM's that getting into this was actually refreshing, frustrating but refreshing. Im getting addicted to it now, especially as I always thought Maya's shader were so limited. I have created some dew drops in PS ( a real simple gradient and shadow style). I didnt know how to add it to the apple..but I will experiment tonight and see if I can add the PDF as a node in there somehwere. Im not sure how to do it in Maya without geo, this is a simple but effective one....

https://www.depiction.net/tutorials/p.../raindrops.php

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 9 23-06-2011 , 09:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok did a bump on the stem and did some marble on the plate MJ...I didnt like the plain silver and I love marble...anyway I will now try the dew drops. The shadow (I think) in front is from the IBL...I cant see where to turn it off? or is it the reflection off the plate? hmmm

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 10 24-06-2011 , 12:03 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok last render I think?? opinions please? steve...Im still waiting bahahaha I think I have ALMOST figured out what you did...though I cant seem to get the 'transparent' or glow you got on the grapes...damn you LOL. It SEEMS as though you have a fractal/stucco or marble in there as there seems to be a shade of claret?

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 11 24-06-2011 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
I have seen a tutorial on the Gnomon website I think, which uses SSS shading for fruit. Might be worth a shot if you're feeling patient? Like the speckly bits, and the stems better. An occlusion layer would help the overall feel...help out with the gradients and tone of the colours?

# 12 25-06-2011 , 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Not bad Bullet. I think the skin in the second of your first two renders looks best. Though I think the saturation on the green is probably too high. Are you going for realism?

Oh yeah, you could model little droplets and paint them onto your apple with this script. Its awesome. -->spPaint3d

- Genny
# 13 25-06-2011 , 01:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks ben will check it out! Thanks Gen...I didnt do incremenatl save so that skin is gone LOL. I put the to dots on it as the apple I had had sort of streaks....hard to do in Maya alone. Thanks Gen!!! you are a gem! I will try that...Im trying for as real as I can get....LOL I know its amateurish but Im having a go...its quite interesting all these nodes and things I didnt know you could do!!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 14 30-06-2011 , 12:46 AM
Lifetime Member
hmmmmm Genny, that DL doesnt open, seems to be a problem with it...will try and scout it out manually

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 30-06-2011 , 05:15 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey Gen is this any better??? I put a really SMALL standard bump on it too....it looked flat to me....will try that script out too...thanks again.

Cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968