Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-10-2008 , 02:45 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

New macbook range

what do you think of the new macbook range (including pro)?
I dont like the idea of the new track pad without a button or the fact that the screens are all massive
I think they look quite good though

But can I ask, on the mackbook pros it says that it has a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
so is this a 256 9400m AND a 9600m gt or do they equal 256MB?

(BTW just so you know, i wont be buying one)

# 2 19-10-2008 , 03:28 PM

Re: New macbook range

Originally posted by elephantinc
what do you think of the new macbook range (including pro)?

Still no option for a blue ray drive which for a brand heavy on media creation seems a bit strange, very over priced for what you get (especially the options to upgrade), the pad seems like a gimic more than anything, how do you click and drag? Bit lacking on ports.

The GFX card memory is just on the card I would think, not the onboard one, which is there just to boost battery life.

Nice design though.

Overall, its not world changing but I reckon a lot of people will go out and buy it just for the brand.

Edit, having a massive screen I assume you mean the resolutions, if so you can just dial it down anyway, though after using one you'll wonder how you went without it, unless you've got bad eyes.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle

Last edited by gster123; 19-10-2008 at 04:51 PM.
# 3 19-10-2008 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
the whole no button thing is a step backwards

like steve said, how are we meant to click and drag?
it's hard to click and drag over distances without a button, unless there is a new key on the keyboard (which would defeat the purpose of the whole no-button thing right?)

i dunno... unless i see one in action i won't think much of it. i already dont think much of the whole one button thing

rediculously overpriced:

https://store.apple.com/nz/browse/hom...ro?mco=MTMzNzU

only duel core and has very little hard disk space...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 19-10-2008 at 08:56 PM.
# 4 20-10-2008 , 03:11 AM
New Macbooks?

Meh...

Wake me when they manage to shove two Xeons in there with dual (or triple) ATI or Nvidia graphics and more than 8 GB of RAM...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 5 20-10-2008 , 05:15 AM
Click and drag, if it works the same as my laptop to use it without the button, double tap but hold the second tap and then drag, MMB, just found that I can assign an area on my track pad for RMB and MMB. Also I can assign gestures to do different things, though its not multitouch. Not that I ever use it (or probably many other users).

Didnt the old mac's have the ability to tap the pad?

Also whats with the mini DVI port? Another cable that you need to buy, when you want to connect it to an external screen, just fit a standard port.

# 6 20-10-2008 , 05:22 AM
Subscriber
i know you can click and drag just by double tapping on the touch pad, but it'd hard when you have a fair distance to go because if you move too slow you dont drag the object far enough and it just takes a lot longer if you have to very slowly move your finger out from the corner of the touch pad so that you dont let go and drop the object in the wrong place

as far as i know old macs dont come with the usefulness of double tapping to act as a mouse click.

from what it looks like mini dvi ports are all the rave with new notebooks. i guess manufacturers are trying to fit more plugs or increase the asthetics of the notebook by not having big butty plugs

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 7 20-10-2008 , 06:13 AM
Very true, to be honest I didnt even know that I could do that on my laptop!

The 2 USB's is a bit pathetic in all honesty.

# 8 20-10-2008 , 06:42 AM
Subscriber
maybe since it's multi touch you can use one finger to hold the object and use the other to move the object as you click and drag. or maybe they've come up with a new way to drag and drop stuff like in the boomerang paper i found months ago.

it's a novel way to drag and drop, you just "throw" what you're wanting to drag and then you can do whatever, and then you just put your mouse back to where you threw it and the objects come back. quite a nice concept imo

yeah 2 USBs aren't much... i suppose they decided that no one is going to stick a lot of things into the notebook since the onboard hardware is so good (yeah.. right..)

i can't find any reason to justify only 2 USBs....

# 9 20-10-2008 , 09:19 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by The Architect

Wake me when they manage to shove two Xeons in there with dual (or triple) ATI or Nvidia graphics and more than 8 GB of RAM...

lol ...and for the same price. user added image

# 10 20-10-2008 , 01:17 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
There is no way on this earth i will buy one
but the one good thing is the better macbooks (not pros) have better GFX cards so they are more of an option now

I agree that 2 USb ports is rubbish but you can get a 4 way splitter from poundland now

Last edited by elephantinc; 20-10-2008 at 02:15 PM.
# 11 20-10-2008 , 02:36 PM

Originally posted by elephantinc
I agree that 2 USb ports is rubbish but you can get a 4 way splitter from poundland now

True, but thats not the point, you would still need to buy parts to make what you've just spent a shed load of money on easy to use for yourself, even if it is just a pound.

Like I said, they will still sell and you'll get rave reviews for them even if they do have flaws that would get battered if it was running MS, its the apple brand people buy into, great marketing.