Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 09-01-2010 , 02:54 AM
Subscriber
my biggest problem is spare time...
but I'll try to get over it.
Let me think about it and I'll probably jump in the contest.

I've been working hard last days on a project but I have some spare time today... I'll give a shot tonight and see what happens

If it looks good tomorrow you'll have a someone else in the contest =)

And... do we need to model the body or its just about the head?
Ill be using Maya for the whole project =)

***edit***
but first... there's a problem... I tried to download the file and it doesnt work... I tried to save target>my desktop then import it but the scene is empty... I zoomed in & out to see if it was really small or really big and... it is not

So if there's a solution it would be perfect =)

Maya modeler - current project Avatar - purplemikey

Last edited by mikeyduf; 09-01-2010 at 02:59 AM.

# 17 09-01-2010 , 09:47 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
I have the same problem, when I import or open the scene in maya i cant see anything....when i open it in zBrush how ever i can get it.

# 18 09-01-2010 , 01:16 PM
Subscriber
oh really? it works in Zbrush? Ill try to export it from Zbrush to maya then

# 19 09-01-2010 , 01:26 PM
Subscriber
I have had no problem getting the obj downloaded and into maya 2010

# 20 09-01-2010 , 02:51 PM
The Nurb Herd
the head is not on the origin.... hit f.

# 21 09-01-2010 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber
I know we have to start with the base mesh but am I aloud to delete the ears - they just not working for me.

I really like the rest of the mess. If not ok its just looking at alot of ref for the females avatars they just look very different.

# 22 09-01-2010 , 03:24 PM
The Nurb Herd
i don't see why not. I've not really started but i've changed the topology of the head.

# 23 09-01-2010 , 05:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Guys

you can do what you want to the mesh. As Ive said on other Avatar posts, I supplied the head so it gives you a starter for the contest without worrying about building an actual head.

the contest is a Head only build, not the body.

Tweety tunes:
Are you building a female friend?? You still have to show reference. You'll need to redo the ears then in that case if you dont like the provided ones

Mikey Duf:
Yeah its an obj file. Simply right click the link and do 'save target as'. It will go straight into any software, Import into Maya, or import in Zbrush or Mudbox. It was provided as an OBJ as the format will go into any of the big software packages

Ozgalis:

It will Import into Maya as its an OBJ, simply hit F on the keyboard to frame it as Hammer Horror has already said.

It was built on the origin but because it comes from a default character model/rig I have set up for my own work, it will be at shoulder height, but you can snap it back to origin as the head is all that is required for the project, you will need to add your own eyes.

# 24 09-01-2010 , 05:26 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
For people who are joining this competition i have included an image for reference about the facial features

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 09-01-2010 , 05:29 PM
The Nurb Herd

# 26 09-01-2010 , 05:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Nice one hammer horror and Mastone.

Yes get your references, you cant do it really well without them.

Jay

# 27 09-01-2010 , 05:50 PM
I sadly don't have the time for this comp however I couldn't resist to fiddle a bit with it so I quickly ( about an hour ) sculpted an avatar in ZBrush which looks pretty decent.

If anyone uses the standard base mesh ( which wasn't mandatory I believe), I woul advise them to take it straight to ZBrush or Mudbox and reshape the nose, eye and ear area to an avatar like head, don't bother to fiddle with details because then take it in to maya again and work a bit on the loops and load your reference images in mayaand basically alter the overall shape of the head, some distinctive facial features like high cheekbones big or narrow lips fat or shallow face( for the guys doing their girlfriends go for the bestlooking features LOL) and then go back to Zbrush and work and the details textures and so on.

If one or some of you has the time however do a quick basemesh in maya so that you have an avatar like basemesh from the start.

Good luck to alluser added image

Last edited by mastone; 09-01-2010 at 05:52 PM.

# 28 09-01-2010 , 05:53 PM

# 29 09-01-2010 , 07:12 PM
The thin red line
Ref

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 09-01-2010 , 07:20 PM
Subscriber