Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 06-04-2020 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber

UV faces are black, but uv editor makes them blue

ok so a simple question i think (getting back into 3d after years doing a job and bored as heck)...

I am working on a knife model and am mostly done but am following a digital tutors guide. Simply, i turned on "shaded uvs" to see if I have flipped, overlapping etc faces and yes I do. So I select the faces which appear as red and bad in the editor and reverse them. Now they're black but in the editor they're blue which is good.

https://imgur.com/a/zNiAkHz

what is going on here?

ps nice to see the community is still active user added image

https://imgur.com/a/zNiAkHz

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 2 07-04-2020 , 09:38 AM
SM Tea Boy
Welcome back

It looks like you have fliped normals, select the faces go to mesh display and reverse.

I've never used the Nightshade UV editor but that to me looks like an auto UV map? I would also not triangulate a model before doing the UV this is going to make your life a lot more complicated.

This kind of model is easy enough to UV map but with this the current topology you've of set yourself up for a bit of a nightmare.

If you like I'll make you a video in which I'll model a knife and UV it. No offence to you because I have no idea if you're doing something specific but this is neither the way I would model or UV something like this.

All the best
David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 09-04-2020 , 03:33 AM
Subscriber
the model needs to be triangulated for game use so that's why I did it.
side question for that...
say I uv without triangulation, texture it all done and good. If I triangulate the model can I apply the same texture or no?

yes nightshade is a uv tool that basically enhances the default uv toolset. I tried flipping them and they go black. I flip them again and the uv shader shows them as red which is bad. I'm going to try other tools like freeze, reset history, etc

a video would be lovely. I'd like to see your workflow

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
# 4 09-04-2020 , 08:20 AM
SM Tea Boy
Hi yes, the texture will work if you triangulate after the UV is done.

take a look at the two images the first is the object quadded with texture the second is triangulated.

I'll get that video out for you today and post a link in this thread.

All the best
David

Attached Thumbnails

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 5 09-04-2020 , 09:40 PM
SM Tea Boy
My workflow for modelling a knife https://youtu.be/tRZexOqjd1U I wanted to make this basic so people who where new to the software could watch it. It may be a little too basic for you.

That said I hope you find it interesting https://youtu.be/tRZexOqjd1U

I shall post a full UV of it on Friday and update this thread.
Hope it's useful
David

# 6 10-04-2020 , 10:58 PM
SM Tea Boy

# 7 12-04-2020 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber
you're very kind

watching now