Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 23-12-2005 , 10:59 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Fallott

No Im not offended at all. Its a work in progress thread so everyone will have their opinions.

I have reference as always, so no worries there. The mouth and nose arent finished.

The 'root' of the nostril area is one Ive been studying for a while and it becomes more defined the older a woman gets, and I would like to leave this one in her early twenties so not to many lines etc.

The lower brow above the eye is alot different on a female compared to a male. The male brow is heavy and deeper but on a female its alot smoother resulting in a more compressed area between the brow and eyelids, this is one area of the face where you can distinguish the difference between the 2 sexes. I still have alot to do on this so it will look right eventually.

I have attached a pic of female eyes, notice how smooth and compressed they are. I will be going for something like this.

Cheers
Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 23-12-2005 , 11:29 PM
if this pic was CG, I´d say her nose doesn´t look realistic cause it´s too small like after surgery... you know what I want to say?

"Schöheit liegt im Auge des Betrachters."

cheers my friend. you do allright!

# 18 23-12-2005 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber

cheers my friend. you do allright!

yea, J's not too shabby

:p

# 19 24-12-2005 , 09:04 AM
lol

# 20 24-12-2005 , 10:20 AM
Thanks Guys

# 21 06-01-2006 , 11:25 PM
Well back to this one at last, taking a break from texturing for a couple of days to concentrate on this model, been tweaking the mesh around the eyes, inner front of the nose and the jaw.

Enjoy

Jay

user added image

# 22 07-01-2006 , 01:41 AM
what I struggled myself with some days ago is the coke nose thing. I discovered that if the septum near the tip of the nose is broadened it gives this extra natural appearence. cause where you scale out the CVs to the side they allready lie on top of the septums root (CVs), seen from the frontview. in case you don´t know what I mean (cause most often I don´t understand my own english) I drop a pic here. sure it´s still not perfect, infact I think proportions now look even worse than before those little adjustments, but this coke nose prob vanished more or less..

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Falott; 07-01-2006 at 01:46 AM.
# 23 07-01-2006 , 11:36 AM
Hey Falott

Dont worry I know what you mean. Its a difficult one to derive this as your nose is a little different to mine, yours is more of a Roman shaped, very strong and narrow. I havent adjusted the front area (tip), just the inner front thats visible above the lips (circled) Ive got a ton of reference on that area and the differences are amazing.

I have feeling as well that age differences play a big part again in that area, as the older you get the more 'Droopy' things like ears and noses become. Ive studied my wifes nostril and its generally a traditional kidney shaped hole, but looking at my daughters they are more a smoother oval in fact they are almost circular.

I do agree that the front of the nose near the tip tapers in more which is something that Im aware of and will get taken care of in due course. Thanks for your input Daniel once again, much appreciated. I'll post some more angles later

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 24 07-01-2006 , 01:28 PM
Subscriber
Looking great so far Jay, and love those prominent lips just right for her look i'd say

This is a remodel of the woman in the comic, I think you're on the right track this time, shes not as stern looking, a more gentil facial posture... like it alot,

Cheers,

Jamie.

# 25 07-01-2006 , 05:15 PM
Hey Jamie

Thanks. Yeah she is a remodel of the girl, Im redoing the whole model. My 'level' of work has gone up a bit since I did the last one, and recently Ive been looking at it and well, its not what I want and anatomy wise the ears are wrong and the lips are too sharp for starters. The basic design is still there with the 'skirt' hanging from the hips etc. Also I want her to be a little softer looking and have a younger hair style as the one now is okay but looks a little older than I need, but never the less she'll still have a look that says she could kick your ass at any time.

People will think what a waste of time but..the old model will get used as I need another female character, in fact it will be the girls mother so I'll tweak that a bit, so then theres nothing gone to waste. I'll be sorting my site out too so it wont have the old models on there very soon (ones being revamped). I'm just really wanting to push my own artistic abilities again this year and level up again.

Will post some updates later

Cheers
Jay

# 26 07-01-2006 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
I am so glad I looked at this thread again. I am currently finishing off my face model for a Star Wars mod I'm working on, and I thought there was something wrong with the nose, but couldn't figure out what. After looking at the nose on your girl, however, I was able to figure out the problem and fix the nose. Now it looks great (although still probably not as good as yours user added image ).

Keep up the great work.

# 27 07-01-2006 , 06:45 PM
Hey Nusirilo

Make a thread and post your model up. Im always intrigued when people make Star Wars models. Glad this was of help for you

Cheers
Jay

# 28 07-01-2006 , 09:46 PM
Hey Everyone

Started on the neck, last post for today cos Samuel L Jackson movie is on!! Maximum respect!!

Later
Jay

user added image

# 29 07-01-2006 , 10:06 PM
wow!, not that i am one to crit on your work, lol, but the nose goes from thick to a little to thin, i think
-andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 30 08-01-2006 , 12:12 AM
Very sorry to say this Jay, but... that is a man I see... not a woman. Probably cuz of the wide cheekbones and wide chin.
but the modeling is EXCELLENT. Well... I guess its average for you... but to me... user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live