Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 12-06-2006 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
hey jay,
at the corner of the eyes, did you add a small piece of the geometry for the wet flesh. I don't know what you call it, but hope you kno what I'm talking about. And if you did, is it a separate peice of geometry, or a continus mesh with the head?

Oh and I was meaning to ask you this befor e also. What's that red side for? Is that the color underneath the skin you're referring to? And the lip color is actually the bottom layer and you painted skin over the rest of the face except the lips? I didn't even know you could do that. lol

Last edited by Anhslaught; 13-06-2006 at 08:59 AM.
# 17 13-06-2006 , 12:34 AM
Subscriber
man. it is all there! far out!

take it easy and life will be easy
# 18 13-06-2006 , 12:37 AM
I would say she's too pale user added image but that's just my personal preference user added image

Great job already. Awesome job user added image

-Matt

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 19 13-06-2006 , 07:11 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Guys

Thanks as always. Its been a tough cookie this one...

Matt: Yeah of course no probs, preference is always the biggest opinion, I dont want her with to much make up or Lara Crofty, more of a real world beaten up hard case look. So shes not worried about her make up but instead shes more concerned about her next assignment.

Anhslaught,: Its called the lacrimal or Tearduct. You can model it into the face but I prefer to have these smaller things separate and available to reuse at any time for other characters to save time, this type of thing is usually known as Frankensteining your body parts. I do the same for eyes as well.

Mirek: Absolutely!!

Cheers
Jay

# 20 13-06-2006 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
Cool thanks Jay, you think I can see it really up close? user added image

# 21 13-06-2006 , 08:38 AM
Mine or do you want some reference as I have both?

Jay

# 22 13-06-2006 , 08:56 AM
Subscriber
I was referring to yours up close so I can see how you did it, but both would be great. user added image

# 23 13-06-2006 , 12:15 PM
It was just a tweaked Sphere as far as the object goes

Jay

# 24 14-06-2006 , 11:14 PM
Sneaks in like a ninja

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 25 14-06-2006 , 11:30 PM
wow! the model is really nice, the textures are great but the hears just dont work for me.

# 26 15-06-2006 , 01:21 AM
Subscriber
Does she have a mole on her Right cheek, or ..is that just a spot on my monitor?..

Looking Nice bro.. Good Quality Stuff
Keep it comming
G

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 27 15-06-2006 , 07:17 AM
Thanks Guys

Of course its a mole, if you have a spot like that on ya monitor I'd be worried LOLuser added image

McFleury: I cant please everyone, hell, I dont like the nose right now, the ears need a tweak here and there but I'll get on with the rest first.

Later
Jay

# 28 15-06-2006 , 07:34 AM
Looks really good that Jay, great work.

When you got the texture map for the head did you duplicate then average the verticies to get rid of the undercut regions or did you move them manually? It's just that i've hard that the average verticies method is quite good to get rid of the problem areas??

Cheers

# 29 15-06-2006 , 08:29 AM
Hi gster123

Hows it going dude? Thanks for the comment.

To be completely honest I've never used the average vert command (as yet) but I've seen and heard good things about it for doing uvs though. Give it a try.

I usually do relax uv from the texture editor but I 'check' the edge weights box to 'world' coords, it relaxes them better than 'uniform' IMO and experience of doing uvs.

Have a play with the settings and see what works best for you, alot of problems can be resolved by just redirecting edges and getting a nice mesh first, then the uvs are less hassle to do. Plus a 'lighter/average' poly mesh too

On another note, Im really against the pelt mapper idea, it looked great primarily but it kind of distorts the uv layout in a way where it looks like its 'dropped and splatted like a water balloon on the canvas' I find it awkward to 'paint' at the strange angles it produces as opposed to a more preferable cylindrical and planar approach

Cheers
Jay

# 30 15-06-2006 , 01:03 PM
Cheers Jay, Going alright, just got a job to tide me over summer so pretty sorted!

Gonna have to have a proper crack at human modeling, done some basic stuff just to get the theory down but never really tried a "proper" model with full, mutiple references and taking my time.

I had a bash with the Average vert's (I had to do it a couple of times) and it seemed to give a good UV layout but I was unsure if it was a proper method or just a hack so thought i'd ask the question to a pro!

Looking forward to the updates.

One other question, are you texturing the whole body or just the visible areas where the clothes dont cover??