Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 106 05-06-2012 , 10:02 AM
I guess my question is related to the fact that the object already has the color taken care of because of the poly-faces having been assigned blue and white shaders. If I UV the entire object, will that kill the separate materials and treat it like one whole material?

I don't mind if that's the case, my color Diffuse UV map would just have the two colors painted in, and the normal map would cover over everything.

(all I know really is that Maya has cool tools for UV's, but they are quite mysterious to me at the moment, I'd like to step off on the right foot before attempting it, so I'll do it what ever way is the best approach.)

Also I'm pretty good with PShop so you don't need to step me through that so much, Maya is what I need coaching in.

Last edited by djwaterman; 05-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
# 107 05-06-2012 , 10:14 AM
The thin red line
UVing it will not change the fact that you have assigned two shaders to the faces of the mesh when you do your bump you will have to assign it to both,you could make a copy of your mesh then UV one and do a transfere maps to the one UVed that should give you one texture..............dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...Y&feature=fvwp

Last edited by daverave; 05-06-2012 at 10:17 AM.
# 108 09-06-2012 , 04:14 PM
Thanks for clearing things up for me guys. I've been exploring the whole UV thing the last few days and I'm really starting to understand it more. I was able to get a good UV set for the seat and get some leather texture onto it.

user added image

I also added an actual light into the scene to get illumination into the cabin. It's a HDR map of a studio reflective umbrella.

user added image

I also UV'd the floor mat, did you notice? Probably not. Then I moved on to the tires. I decided on a different approach for the UV than I would normally use. Usually I'd planer map the side wall and cylindrically map the tread. This time I wanted to have both in the same map. This meant that the tread and sides could just be a long strip. Here's a portion of how the map art looked.

user added image

Which mean't I could easily design my own graphics, just typing them on in P'shop. Here's an early test render to make sure placment is working.

user added image

With a normal map.

user added image

This is the current look with diffuse, reflection and normal maps.

user added image

Still experimenting with the maps but this will do for now.

# 109 09-06-2012 , 04:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
# 110 10-06-2012 , 07:57 PM
Thanks. Here's the tire in situ.

user added image

# 111 11-06-2012 , 12:36 AM
Lifetime Member
very well done dj

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 112 11-06-2012 , 01:03 AM
rm3d
amazing work so far , love it

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 113 11-06-2012 , 10:30 AM
Subscriber
looking awesome!

# 114 11-06-2012 , 10:02 PM
Subscriber
Wow this is realy great!

# 115 13-06-2012 , 01:08 PM
Thanks, its getting there. I'm now trying to neaten up the whole model structure, so my car is all grouped together and I find a lot of other stuff listed and don't really know what it is. I'd like to delete it as I'm sure its just left over references or something. In the screen grab here all the selected things are what I want to keep, and all the other stuff is a mystery to me.

user added image

They seem to be empty folders but I'm scared to delete them in case there are consequences. What do I do?

# 116 13-06-2012 , 02:00 PM
EduSciVis-er
Not folders, but transform nodes. I think they show up sometimes when you duplicate stuff and group stuff and delete history and connections get disconnected. Save a new copy of your scene and delete them, no harm done. The ones with plus signs beside them, open them up and make sure there's no geo or anything below. Delete history on everything before you clean up because there may be some lingering connections. Don't know if you still want that side camera.

# 117 13-06-2012 , 02:05 PM
Lifetime Member
The way I do it...select the whole model...then delete ALL history...then select whole model again...open outliner, the ones 'deselected' are ones I delete...to make sure of some Im confused I grab the move tool and see if any geo is connected. This is a fail in Maya...just another thing you have to sweep and see

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 118 13-06-2012 , 02:38 PM
Okay, that cleared that up, there's also these things, again I have no idea what they are.

user added image

Can I kill them too?

# 119 13-06-2012 , 03:22 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think those are sets. I don't know where they come from unless you created them yourself. You can't delete the two default ones. You can try, but it won't work. I don't know about the rest. Probably safe to delete them, but again, just make a copy of your scene first.

# 120 14-06-2012 , 07:09 PM
rm3d
hey man quick question , where did you get the good year reference pic?? did you make it yourself? or is it from a website? would be nice to get some decent Tyre thread references. lol

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk