Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-10-2016 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber

Recurring issue with edge loops

I am having a recurring issue where loops skip certain faces or have strange results for reasons beyond me. The mesh seems clean and I often remake the whole mesh, check it for strange geometry and try using connect tool, multi cut and insert edge loop to test if there is something wrong with the tools.

Today I had the same issue I have had previously again. I have tried remaking the mesh several times. It's a simple plane, the edges extruded to create new faces. I solved the issue by simply making a new plane and adding divisions along the mesh instead of extruding the edges to create new faces. I could then cut an edge loop without problem. (strange explanation but check the imgur link and you will understand)

But I want to know WHY I have this issue all the time. The issue being, an edge loop, multi cut or connect preview displaying as completely fine and when i click to execute command the result is completely different, missing one face completely or alternatively looping in a strange way. Thanks for any help, using maya 2017

https://imgur.com/a/DwyVG

Another example. This mesh is very simple and I am pretty sure nothing is wrong with it. This is driving me crazy making simple models take waay to long...

https://imgur.com/a/SD57x

Last edited by Banankakan; 02-10-2016 at 02:08 PM.
# 2 03-10-2016 , 12:39 AM
I see what you mean. That does indeed seem like a software glitch. I would contact Autodesk about it and see if they can help you troubleshoot the issue.

I don't have 2017 version but I've never had Maya behave that way for me. Perhaps its a defective copy of Maya or perhaps it's an issue between Maya 2017 and your operating system or video card, etc. Might try and reinstall Maya and see if that fixes it. Could be anything really. I would contact Autodesk for help troubleshooting the issue.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 03-10-2016 , 02:45 AM
Subscriber
And here i was just thinking i sucked at modeling. I will try reinstalling, if it doesnt work i will contact autodesk. Thanks user added image

# 4 03-10-2016 , 05:05 AM
I played around with the insert edge loop tool settings. Try playing around with them and see if one of the settings makes it work better. Specifically, try turning off 'fix quads'.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 29-05-2019 , 07:03 AM
In the modeling tool kit try to set simmetry off