Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-06-2006 , 03:29 PM

Question about the control vertex

I'm working on the cartoon dog project, and I'm currently molding the head/jaw.

There's one minor problem though: Some time I grab too many of the "purple dots" (no clue what they're called..) when I'm molding it from the side view.
When I go back into front or perspective view, the dots are scattered all over the place, since I didn't know which dots to grab.

This isn't a huge problem, but I'd rather have models that look exactly the same on both sides.

If my description isn't clear enough, I could take a screen shot of it.

# 2 14-06-2006 , 02:05 AM
yeah, posting a screenshot will definitely help us understand your problem, but if I understand you correctly, just select the purple dots (They are called vertices user added image ) and then go into another view and deselect the vertices that you don't want to affect.

You could also try duplicating an instance of your model (just look under the duplicate options box) which will allow you to work on half of the model and the other half will update automatically.

Hope this helps. user added image

# 3 14-06-2006 , 02:42 AM
user added image
That's what I mean.

The points aren't even, so each side will be a bit different :/

# 4 14-06-2006 , 03:36 AM
Yeah, it just looks like you haven't selected the correct vertices before modelling them - you just need to make sure that before moving the vertices you check out your model from all angles to make sure that what you have selected is what you want. Don't just model in one view.

As I said, have a look at modelling with an instance, though i haven't done that tutorial, so he might not use that method.

# 5 14-06-2006 , 04:42 AM
So how would I edit only half of it, and duplicate it later?

That seems the easiest to me.

# 6 14-06-2006 , 11:31 AM
First you need to make sure that your pivot point is at the center. If not, just press ctrl G to group your object to itself. Then delete half of your model and go to edit>duplicate>options box. Next, put a minus sign next to the appropriate X Y Z column in the scale section (This all depends on what plane you are trying to duplicate across). Finally, decide whather you want to make a regular duplicate, or an instance, which will allow you to work on one half and the other side will update at the same time.

I think that's right but I am still at work on a night shift and so not at my computer or completely with it.:zzz:

# 7 14-06-2006 , 10:05 PM
Ohh okay.

Thanks alot.