Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-02-2013 , 10:30 PM
Subscriber

Tweety - "Ada Wong" - Femme Fatale HCM Challenge

OK I have finally cracked and I am going to try a challenge over at the unfriendly place - Although they have been very nice lately about my RoboCain.

The Challenge is a Hard Core Modelling one titled " Femme Fatale! "

I am going to do Ada Wong from the Resident Evil game/film series.

user added image

After looking at the different versions of her I am going for the look from the last CG film "Damnation"

I am so sick of the look of her in Resident Evil 4 - Come on who would ever go killing zombies in that dress. But I do want to do the gun hook.

Just a small update - got the head blocked out - Just starting the ear. Back of the head is not perfect but then it will be covered in hair.

user added image

This place will always be home but that challenge really did get my head thinking. Work on RoboCain will still be happening just at a slower rate.

Attached Images

# 2 11-02-2013 , 11:08 PM
SM Tea Boy
looks like a nice clean start - good luck

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 11-02-2013 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Dave - you know me, like things clean and tidy.

Anyway cracked on with the ear. Need a bit of detail in this area as the one is not covered by the hair but not sure how much yet. Also built the inner mouth.

user added image

# 4 12-02-2013 , 04:05 PM
Technical Director
Looking good so far mate. The ear does need a bit move lovin' though.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 12-02-2013 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

Looking good so far mate. The ear does need a bit move lovin' though.

Which part do you think needs work - here is a close up for you.

user added image

# 6 12-02-2013 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber
Well got the teeth done today and some tweaking of the head. Moving on to the Jacket/Upper body next.

user added image

# 7 12-02-2013 , 10:55 PM
The thin red line
Tweety the ear still needs some work the lob is to big what references are you using...........dave

# 8 13-02-2013 , 12:44 AM
Subscriber
Thx Daveave - Been tweaking it for quite a bit - and looking back on it that lob was way too big.

user added image

And here is it on the head with the Blouse - the collar is quite high as the collar for the jacket goes under it
Is it me or is the ear now too small ??

user added image

# 9 13-02-2013 , 03:38 AM
EduSciVis-er
Obviously it doesn't fit in all cases, but I've heard the ear is typically from the eyebrow level to the base of the nose.

# 10 13-02-2013 , 04:42 AM
model is looking good so far TT. I was looking at the thread over at the other place and did not seem to find any mean spirited comments. The model is solid, so I would be surprised to see anyone finding anything wrong with it.

Keep up the good work.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 11 13-02-2013 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber

I was looking at the thread over at the other place and did not seem to find any mean spirited comments.

I have no idea what has happened over there but the people are a lot nicer than they used to be. I guess people got sick of being so negative all the time. There are some comments on my "Robocain" I can`t beleave - so positive - I was in complete shock - It really made my day.

Looking at ear over and over I do think now that its too small after the edits so going to scale the thing up a little with out changing the form. I know a lot of it is going to be covered up with hair but still - I want it to look right.

Cheers for kind words

# 12 13-02-2013 , 10:13 PM
Subscriber
Ok some tweaks to the ear and mouth/teeth.

The old and new size ear

user added image

And after some crit about the teeth placement over at the other place a re-jig of the teeth.

user added image

I also added some colour - just to make things easier to see - not final in anyway

# 13 13-02-2013 , 10:36 PM
Yeah the ear an be a real pain. I finally got one that I was happy with the topology and I usually just import it in and adjust it. I would think that it might be easier to model in a sculpting package like zbrush. But I have yet to wrap my head around zbrushes UI.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 14 13-02-2013 , 11:52 PM
Subscriber
This is by far the best human model I have ever made so far - so I think I will be cutting this up and re using pars from now on. The ear was quite easy to be fair. Although I really need to do some proper eyes.

Made a start on the jacket and added the buttons to the blouse.

user added image

# 15 14-02-2013 , 05:09 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Solid modelling TT